When your network is created, the currency is set. Once you've created any orders, the network currency can't be changed.
DFP uses currency in two ways:
- Line item delivery: For some line item types, price is one of the factors that DFP takes into account when choosing which line item to serve. For these line items, DFP tries to serve the line items that will generate the most revenue for your network. (Learn more about line item delivery priorities.)
- Revenue reporting: Reports show you how much revenue your line items and orders have generated.
This feature is not available in DFP Small Business.
Set up secondary currencies to make it easier to enter line item pricing information. This can be useful if you sell inventory in more than one currency. You can set the currency for the line item when you're creating it; once the line item has been saved, you can't change the currency later.
For example, if your network default currency is euros, but you sell some inventory in British pounds, you can add "GBP (British Pounds Sterling") to your network as a secondary currency. When you create a line item, you can then select "GBP" as the currency and enter the rate that you agreed on with your advertiser.
To add currencies to your network:
- In the Global settings section of the Admin tab, find the currency you want to add in the "Add a currency" field at the bottom of the currency table.
- Add more currencies as needed.
- In the “Exchange rate refresh” column, select from the following options:
- Fixed: Enter the exchange rate manually, and change it as often as you’d like.
- Daily (default): Refreshed at 7:00 a.m. of the current day in the publisher’s time zone. The exchange rate is not an average, but taken from this specific point in time. This means if a line item with a secondary currency serves an impression at 6:00 a.m. in the publisher’s time zone, it will utilize the exchange rate value from the previous day at 7:00 a.m.
- Monthly: Refreshed at 7:00 a.m., in the publisher’s time zone, on the first day of the current month. The exchange rate is not an average, but taken from this specific point in time. This means if a line item with a secondary currency serves an impression at 6:00 a.m. in the publisher’s time zone on the third day of the month, it will utilize the exchange rate value from the first of the month at 7:00 a.m.
- Click Save. The currencies are now available for any new line items.
DFP automatically converts secondary currency amounts into your network default currency. DFP currency conversion rates are updated frequently throughout the day.
When an ad request is received, DFP uses the latest conversion rate to determine the price of each line item in the network default currency. The converted value enables your line items to compete on price, even if they've been set up in different currencies.
Reporting data is also converted to your network default currency. The values are based on the conversion rate at the time of delivery.
In this example, your network's default currency is US dollars, but you also sell some campaigns in euros.
DFP has to decide between two price priority line items: one with a $4 CPM and one with a €3 CPM. At the current exchange rates when the ad request is received, €3 converts to $4.02, which makes it the higher-paying line item. DFP serves the €3 CPM line item. The revenue from the delivery is recorded and reported in US dollars (in this case, $4.02 ÷ 1000, or $0.00402).
Later that same day, DFP is again choosing between a price priority line item with a $4 CPM and one with a €3 CPM. By now the exchange rate has fluctuated so that €3 converts to $3.98. DFP delivers the line item with the $4 CPM.
Remove a secondary currency
You can delete a secondary currency. Line items that have already been set up with the secondary currency will continue to use it. However, you can't create any new line items using the secondary currency once it has been removed.
To remove a secondary currency from your network:
In the Network settings section of the Admin tab, click the X icon next to the currency you want to remove.
Remove more currencies as needed.
- Click Save. The currencies are no longer available for any new line items.