User roles and permissions
Each user is assigned a role. A role consists of a set of controls, called permissions, which control what users can see and do.
There are several built-in user roles:
- Administrator: Administrators have full access to all functionality.
- Administrator (DFP only): Administrators (DFP only) have full access to all functionality other than Ad Exchange.
- Salesperson: Salespeople can create orders, manage orders, and run reports on orders they create.
- Sales manager: Sales managers can create orders, approve orders, cancel orders, edit targeting criteria, and run reports on orders, sales, and inventory.
- Trafficker: Traffickers can create orders, edit orders, edit line items, upload creatives, and run reports on orders and creatives.
- Executive: Executives can run reports and evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns through read-only access to all functionality.
- Ad Exchange manager: Ad Exchange managers have access to Ad Exchange functionality, but not DFP. This role might not be available for your network.
You can also set up custom roles with sets of permissions that fit your needs.
Roles are managed on the Admin tab.
View permissions for roles and users
You can see the permissions enabled for a role or for a particular user.
View permissions and users for a role
- On the Admin tab, click Roles.
- (Optional) Filter by all, custom, or built-in roles.
- Click on a role to view the associated permissions.
- To see which users are assigned to the role, click the link to the number of users assigned to the role.
View permissions for a user
- On the Admin tab, click Users.
- (Optional) Use filters to find the right user.
- Click on the user name.
- In the Role section, click View permissions.
Create and edit custom roles
The default roles that are built into DoubleClick for Publishers can't be edited. However, you can create new roles and customize the permissions, then assign these roles to users. For example, you might decide to create a custom role where users associated with that role can view creatives, but not edit them. You can also create new roles based on existing roles, including both built-in and custom roles.
To create or edit a user role:
- Select the Admin tab, then Roles from the left-hand navigation.
- Click New role or the name of an existing role to edit it. If you click on the name of a role, you can view all permissions and users associated with it.
- Provide a name for your new role and a description (optional).
- (Optional) If you'd like to use an existing role as a template for your new role, select it from the Copy permissions from role drop-down.
- Enable the checkboxes next to the permissions that you want to associate with this role.
Many of the user role permissions are dependent on one another. For example, to enable a user to edit creatives, you must enable both the "Edit creatives" and the "View creatives" permissions. DFP shows warnings when you enable permissions that require others that haven't been enabled. Click on the warning symbol to see what changes are needed, and click the link to enable the required permissions. You'll need to resolve all warnings before you can save your changes.
- Click Save.
Assign users to roles
To assign a user to a role:
- If you're creating a new user, you'll be prompted to assign them a role on the user creation page. Otherwise, you can view or change an existing user's role by selecting the Admin tab, then Users, then clicking the user name.
- Select a role from the Roles drop-down.
- Save your changes.