Preview a creative
Preview a creative in DFP, on your site, or on your mobile device, to verify that it works correctly before it begins serving. You can preview a creative before its start date.
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Delivery Line items.
- Click the line item you'd like to preview. Use filters to find your line item.
- Click Creatives, then click the creative you want to preview.
- DFP will attempt to display the creative in the Preview tab of a creative.
- Click-through override settings are not reflected in creative previews. The standard click-through URL is used in the preview, but your override will be used when the creative is served to your content.
- If a click-tracking macro is included in a custom or third-party creative, characters after
#in a click-through URL is excluded in the preview. This issue does not affect actual creative delivery.
Click New window in the creative's "Preview" tab. This will open a new browser tab or window with only your creative displayed.
Click On site in the creative's "Preview" tab and enter the Site URL of the page where you'd like to preview the creative.
- Click Open preview to immediately open a new browser tab containing the site URL with your creative displayed.
- Click Show preview URL to see an automatically-generated URL you can share with others to open at a later time. This creative preview link expires after 180 days. When you click the link, the preview lasts for 15 minutes. After that, if you reload your browser, the preview is no longer displayed, and you'll need to click the link to view it again.
The site URL you enter must contain an ad request that matches the line item's ad unit and size targeting criteria. Other line item targeting definitions, such as key-values or geography, are ignored. If the page contains multiple eligible ad units, the creative will deliver to any ad unit that matches.
If you're previewing a creative on a page requiring authentication, sign into your site first, then preview the creative.
Click Mobile in the creative's "Preview" tab to generate a QR code in DFP that opens a browser window to display the creative on your mobile device. Preview the creative alone or, for ads targeting mobile websites, in a page that the ad is targeting.
- Use a barcode scanning mobile app to scan the QR code and load the preview.
- Enter the webpage URL and click Generate preview to generate a QR code that opens a browser window display the creative in your site on your mobile device. Learn more about how to preview a creative on your site.
Things to consider
- Roadblock previews are not supported. You can only generate a site preview for one creative at a time.
- No ad selection processes are involved, including server calls from third-party tracking pixels.
- Geography targeting might affect your preview if your creative contains a redirect.
- Line items and creatives served when you generate a site preview are not included in reporting or forecasting results.