The value CPM (cost per thousand impressions) is an amount you specify to help DoubleClick for Publishers estimate the value of campaigns. The amount entered in the "Value CPM" field serves two purposes:
- It's used in revenue calculations for impressions served.
- When a value CPM is defined for non-guaranteed line item types, such as Bulk or Network, the value CPM is used for competition in dynamic allocation instead of the "Rate" value.
When dynamic allocation isn't in effect, the value CPM does not impact delivery—priority and goal are used instead. For example, without dynamic allocation, a network line item at Priority 12 will always preempt a price priority line item at Priority 12 in the ad selection process. Even if a price priority line item has a value CPM of $10.00 and a network line item has a value CPM of $7.00, the network line item still preempts the price priority line item.
| DFP sales management
Set a value CPM
To set a value CPM for non-guaranteed line item:
- In your DoubleClick for Publishers account, click the Delivery tab.
- Click the order containing the line item you'd like to edit.
- Click the line item you'd like to edit and then click the Settings tab.
- Click set value CPM next to the Cost field and enter a value CPM amount.
- Click Save.
Example: AdSense and Ad Exchange competition with network, bulk, and price priority line items
If your network has AdSense or Ad Exchange enabled, then when the ad server selects a bulk, network, or price priority line item to serve to an ad tag, it will compare the CPM of that prospective line item with the price of an AdSense or Ad Exchange ad. If the price of the AdSense or Ad Exchange line item is greater than that of the bulk, network, or price priority CPM, the ad server will serve the AdSense or Ad Exchange line item.
Just as in the example above, you could set a value CPM for your network or bulk line item to help it compete with Ad Exchange and AdSense ads.
Report on value CPM
To report on value CPM, you can use the "average eCPM" metrics in the Reports tab.