Target a line item to mobile devices
To target a line item to mobile devices:
Under Add targeting, you can choose one or more of the following:
- Select Inventory to assign the line item to one or more ad units.
- Select Key-values and audience segments to add key-value pairs and audience segments.
- Select Geography to target traffic from a particular location. Geo-targeting has different resolutions for carrier traffic and Wi-Fi traffic.
- For mobile in-app, passing lat/long location data allows for reliable selection of line items with more granular geo targeting (such as zip code). However, you cannot target line items to a specific lat/long or a set of points. If you use Ad Exchange, click here to read about the usage of location data in Ad Exchange mobile in-app.
- For carrier targeting, if you choose a more granular level than country, you might exclude some traffic. Note that some carriers might have traffic outside of their primary country of business.
- DFP takes into account BlackBerry's proxy-based traffic routing where possible, but in some cases geo-targeting and carrier targeting might not work for BlackBerry devices.
- Wi-Fi traffic: You can target the country, region, state (US), metro area (DMA), city, and postal code (US/CA only) levels.
- Carrier traffic: You can target to the country level. You can also choose to target to region, state, and city—but accuracy at these more granular levels is dependent on our confidence in the location of the IP. The most precise targeting is possible where publishers can provide location data. See this developer documentation for more information: GPT reference and Mobile in-app developer reference.
- Select Devices to target the line item to a user's device or browsing environment.
- Browser language: (Does not apply to mobile apps) Target devices based on the user's language setting on the device.
- Device capability: Target devices:
- That are mobile apps. This is useful for publishers that use the same ad units for their mobile web and mobile app inventory but want to traffic different campaigns to apps and the web. Select Devices > Device capability > Mobile Apps, and then click Include. In reports, app traffic will be broken down in the targeting dimension, under DeviceCapability=serves on apps. Note that mobile app targeting and reporting work for mobile display but not mobile video.
- That can make calls. Select Devices > Device capability > Phone calls, and then click Include.
- That are enabled for MRAID v1 or MRAID v2. Select Devices > Device capability > MRAID v1 or MRAID v2, and then click Include.
- Device category: Target different categories of devices. Choose Desktop, Feature phones, Smartphone, or Tablet, then click include. The difference between smartphones and feature phones
Smart phones are phones that use high-end browsers. These are browsers that can render a standard HTML page in full-screen and zoomable views, and that are able to handle a standard e-commerce transactions from start to finish. Most phones with the most recent version of WebKit (iPhone, Android, some newer Blackberry versions), recent Opera Mobile (but not mini), and Internet Explorer on Windows Phones would all be considered smart phones.
Feature phones, or mid-range phones, are those that use browsers that don't meet the above thresholds.
- Manufacturer/Device: Target particular manufacturers and devices.
Note: When you select certain specific device models (such as "iPhone6"), they appear as "Mobile device submodels" under "Selected criteria". Line items that target these "Mobile device submodels" can only match traffic from mobile apps, and not from mobile web. If you want to also target mobile web, please select a higher level of mobile device (such as "Apple iPhone").
- Operating system: Target platforms and operating systems.
- Select Connection to target bandwidth, carriers and user domains.
- Bandwidth: Target users who are connected via wifi or mobile carriers.
- Mobile carrier: Target specific mobile carriers.
- Under User domains, enter user domains to target.
Click Save and... and select Upload creatives from the drop-down.