Create a line item
Follow the instructions below if you'd like to create a line item with new pricing, quantity, and targeting settings. If, however, you'd like to duplicate an existing line item's settings, you can copy a line item instead. Depending on your network setup, you might see additional line item fields, or some of the fields listed below might not be available.
How to create a line item
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Delivery.
- Create a new order, or click an existing order in the table and click new line item.
- Enter basic information about the line item.
- Enter a line item name. Line item names must be unique within the order.
- Enter the inventory sizes of the creatives you plan to upload.
- Select Video VAST to create a video line item.
- Select Master/companion roadblock to set up master/companion roadblock sizes. This feature is not available in DFP Small Business.
Optional: Apply creative-level targeting, labels, custom fields, and moreTarget creatives and help forecast available inventory by defining creative sizes, the number (count) for each size, creative-level targeting and any ad unit frequency capping labels that will be applied to the line item's creatives.Add labels, which can be used to prevent two line items in the same category from being shown on the same page or prevent line items from being delivered in emergency situations. Learn more about labelsAllow a same advertiser exception if you want the line item to be able to be delivered to webpages at the same time as other line items from the same advertiser when a competitive exclusion label is active.Enter comments that might help with trafficking the line item.Add custom fields to help organize the line item in reports. Learn more about custom fields
- In the Settings section, enter the line item type, dates, quantity, and cost, as well as any discount you want to take from the line item's cost.
- For sponsorship and network line items, instead of an impression quantity, enter a goal percentage of total inventory impressions. You can optionally set a minimum quantity contractually sold for the line item used only for reporting purposes.
- If you're creating a sponsorship or network line item with CPM pricing, the Discount field is not available.
- You can also add a grace period to standard and bulk line items to give them more time to reach its goal. This feature is not available in DFP Small Business.
- Adjust delivery settings to tell DFP how quickly to deliver impressions and how to display the line item's creatives.
DFP Trafficking: Delivery Settings (part 1) (4:10) DFP Trafficking: Delivery Settings (part 2) (5:51)
- Deliver impressions
- Evenly (default): Serve impressions as evenly as possible across the number of days specified in a line item. Note that pacing can still vary on an hourly basis.
- Frontloaded: Serve more impressions at the beginning of the line item's run.
- As fast as possible: Block lower-priority or lower-value line items from delivering in the selected placements until the requirements of the line item are met. Selecting this option may result in delivery of all booked impressions well before the specified end date for the line item. The default behavior is to deliver ads evenly across the line item's delivery period.
- Display creatives
- Only one: Show only one creative per page if multiple creatives are associated with this line item.
- One or more (default): Allow multiple creatives associated with this line item to show.
- As many as possible: Show creatives in as many ad units as possible.
- Rotate creatives
- Even: Creatives rotate evenly.
- Optimized (default): Creative with the highest CTR will be shown more often.
- Weighted: Creatives rotate at a frequency you specify.
- Sequential: Creatives rotate in the order you specify. You must enter a number between 1 and 80.
DFP will show a single creative no more than once per page. Therefore, if you want the same creative to appear more than once per page, you must add multiple instances of that creative to a line item.
- Day and time: Specify days of the week and times of day when the line item can be delivered. Learn more about dayparting
- Frequency: Limit the number of times that ads from a line item are served to any individual user. Learn more about frequency caps
- Deliver impressions
- In the Add targeting section, select the inventory you want to target. Learn more about targeting criteria
- Use forecasting to help predict how the line item will perform.
- For Standard and Sponsorship line items, click Check inventory to confirm whether ad impressions are available. Learn more
- For Ad Exchange line items: In the “Forecasting” section, use the estimated query and revenue numbers to help determine the prospective line item’s effectiveness. You can try to improve the numbers by updating the line item settings and clicking Update forecast. Learn more
Forecasting for new ad units
When you book a line item to a new ad unit, you might see a warning that there's not enough available inventory. This happens because there's no sample data for the new ad unit, so the forecasting simulation can't make a projection of available impressions.To remedy this, overbook the line item or create a manual forecast adjustment for the ad unit, wait a short time for DFP to process it, and save the line item. Note: Forecast adjustments are not available in DFP Small Business.
- Click Save or Save and... for additional options. For example:
- Save and... > New line item allows you to save the current line item and create another new line item.
- Save and... > Upload creatives allows you to save the current line item and upload creatives for the line item.
Save and... > Generate multi-size creative is intended for Ad Exchange line items with multi-size pricing.Monitor your line item's delivery
Use a line item's "Troubleshoot" tab to see reasons your line item isn't delivering. This can help you determine whether your delivery settings need to be adjusted to optimize revenue.