AMP pages and AMPHTML ads
The AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) Project is an open-source initiative that aims to make the web better for all. The project enables the creation of websites and ads that are consistently fast, beautiful, and high-performing across devices and distribution patterns.
How display ads work on AMP pages
After you’ve created AMP pages, you can serve existing display ads on them. Start by adding the
<amp-ad> tag to an AMP page, which is the primary mechanism to request ads from an ad network in AMP pages. There are over 100 ad networks supported in AMP. For DFP, you should use the <amp-ad type=”doubleclick”> tag.
- Learn more about the three easy steps to serving ads on your AMP page.
- These best practices for ads on AMP pages apply to any ad network.
- You can generate <amp-ad> tags directly in DFP without having to manually edit code.
- Run a report to confirm that your AMP pages are using the <amp-ad> tag.
Types of display ads that can be served to AMP pages
When the AMP Project first started, the goal was ensure that most existing ads in the ecosystem would “just work” on AMP pages. However, AMP doesn’t allow any ad format that causes content reflow. Therefore, some formats like interstitials or auto-expandables are unsupported in AMP. See a list of some of the supported ads capabilities in AMP.
From a trafficking standpoint, not much changes for ads on AMP pages.
- We recommended you set up an AMP test page to ensure the ads will serve.
- You can see how your AMP pages are performing.
AMPHTML ads are a new, better way of building, delivering and measuring ads that are faster, lighter and more secure. AMPHTML ads are ads built using AMPHTML and use many of the smart components that make AMP pages fast (like <amp-analytics>). These ads are only delivered after being validated, ensuring that they’re free of malware. Most of all, these ads can be delivered anywhere on the web, not just on AMP pages. AMPHTML ads achieves the goal of making ads themselves as fast as the rest of the AMP page.
- Learn more about the benefits of AMPHTML ads.
- Learn how to create AMPHTML ads.
- You can create AMPHTML ads for image, custom, and third-party creative types directly in DFP, with support for more creative types coming in the near future.
Where AMPHTML ads work
AMPHTML ads can serve on both AMP pages (via the DoubleClick AMPHTML ad tag) and non-AMP pages (via the Google Publisher Tag). This includes both desktop and mobile web environments.