Create click-tracking line items
Click-tracking line items track clicks in your content. The line items themselves are not served by DFP and don't count impressions. Tracking is done with a click command that you generate.
Create a click-tracking line item
1. Create an ad unit or placement for your text links
We recommend that you create at least one ad unit or placement dedicated to your text links as that will easily let you distinguish them in your reports from other types of ad units.
Since text link line items are served by you, not DFP, ad units that you create for text links are only used for reporting purposes. If your organization uses text links in multiple ways (Flash click-through, hard coded on site, in conjunction with a third party, etc.) you could also choose to create a unique ad unit for those different modes. You can use whatever naming convention you prefer when creating the ad unit. We recommend setting the size to 1x1.
2. Create your text link line items
You must create a line item for each text link you want to serve.
- Create a line item.
- In the Type drop-down menu, select Click-tracking only..
- (optional) Use the limit to define the maximum number of clicks that DFP should track. Subsequent clicks redirect to the destination URL, but not counted.
- Select the ad unit or placement that you created to specifically report on this line item, as mentioned above.
Since DFP doesn't serve text link line items, they can't be targeted to specific audiences.
- Click Save and upload creatives. The destination URL for the text link is entered on the “Creative” page.
- Enter a name for the creative.
- Enter a destination URL.
The destination URL you enter is automatically inserted into the ad tag. When you pause a click-tracking line item, or if it's before or after the creative run dates, DFP does not insert the destination URL and the line item stops running.
- Click Save and approve the order, if needed.
3. Create the click-tracking URL and send it to your webmaster
- Open the click-tracking line item.
- Select an ad unit from the Generate click-tracking link drop-down menu.
- Highlight and copy the link displayed below the drop-down list, then send it to your webmaster for implementation where the appropriate click action is triggered on your site.
https://to make the click-tracking link secure.
Report on text link line items
Even though you can't target text link line items to audiences, non-targeted values are still included in reports.
DFP stops counting clicks on text link line items once their end dates pass, even if the click limit isn't reached.
If you want to append key-values that can be tracked in the Data Transfer “CustomTargeting” field, append custom criteria with the
key=value to this click-tracking URL, you would add:
If the click tracker is inactive, you'll get a "204: No Content" error. An improperly formatted click tracker will produce a "500: Internal Server Error." When it's working correctly, the click tracker generates a "302: Found" response.