Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings™ reports (Beta)
Some video features may not be enabled for your network. To learn more, contact your account manager.
Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings allow you to report on audience metrics for campaigns running across all digital screens. DFP Video allows you to deliver impressions based on Nielsen data, and provides reports to understand the demographics of your inventory and review campaign performance.
Track and pace line item delivery based on Nielsen data
When you create a video line item, you can select Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings as your provider for GRP tracking, and pace against an impression goal for the GRP audience you've selected, including age and gender.
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Create a video line item, and select Video VAST inventory.
- Select Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings as the GRP provider, and the age and gender settings that should define the audience, as measured by Nielsen.
- (Optional) When you enter the impression goal to deliver against, you can choose Impressions in GRP audience to pace against the specific Nielsen audience settings you selected.
When your line item begins to serve impressions with these options selected, DFP automatically adjusts the impression goal up or down to ensure you fully deliver enough impressions to meet your goal, as measured by Nielsen.
DFP adjustments are made once per night, as Nielsen data is updated.
Monitor your campaign to reduce wasted impressions
While DFP makes adjustments to ensure you meet your goal, you should review the ratio of ad server impressions delivered to Nielsen impressions, and adjust your demographic targeting to reduce wasted impressions.
For example, DFP might deliver 1 million impressions, based on your line item targeting, but the number of impressions that qualified in the Nielsen demographics you've chosen, might have only been 900 thousand. In this instance, you should run a report to see where wasted impressions are being delivered, and update your targeting.
Run a Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings report
Once your campaign begins delivering, you can run a report to see campaign reach, based on Nielsen data. You should also include total inventory in your report to see the number of impressions delivered outside of your Nielsen demo, and adjust your line item targeting accordingly.
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Reports NEW QUERY.
- Select Reach as the report type.
- Include the Delivery Order dimension, and Demographics Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings demographics dimensions.
- (Optional) Include one or both of the following:
- Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings segment: audience and frequency metrics
- Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings restatement date: the date Nielsen calculated the data*
- Select your desired metrics and click RUN.
Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings metrics
The following metrics are available in Query Tool:Impressions
The impressions that have accumulated from the beginning of this row’s cumulative metric date range. If the date dimension is included, this metric is for all impressions that have accumulated from the beginning of this row’s cumulative metric date range up to and including the row’s date.
Total population of the market defined by the age and gender for this row.
% population share
Population / Total Population (For Demographics)
Number of people that have been reached by ads for this campaign since the beginning of this row’s cumulative metric date range. If the date dimension is included, this metric is for total reach that have accumulated from the beginning of this row’s cumulative metric date range up to and including the row’s date.
% audience share
Cumulative Reach / Total Cumulative Reach (For Demographics)
% Reach Share (For Demographics) / % Population Share (For Demographics)
% impression share
Cumulative Impressions / Total Cumulative Impressions (For Demographics)
% Impression Share (For Demographics) / % Population Share (For Demographics)
% audience reach
Cumulative Reach / Population
Cumulative impressions / Cumulative Reach
Gross rating points
Cumulative Impressions / Population * 100
* If Nielsen has to recalculate and replace the data, the restatement date is the date the recalculation took place.