The value CPM (cost per thousand impressions) is an amount you specify to help DoubleClick for Publishers estimate the value of campaigns. The amount entered in the "Value CPM" field serves two purposes:
- It's used in revenue calculations for impressions served.
- When a value CPM is defined for non-guaranteed line item types, such as Bulk, Network, or Price Priority, the value CPM is used for competition in dynamic allocation and First Look instead of the "Rate" value.
When dynamic allocation isn't in effect, the value CPM does not impact delivery—priority and goal are used instead. For example, without dynamic allocation, a network line item at Priority 12 will always preempt a price priority line item at Priority 12 in the ad selection process. Even if a price priority line item has a value CPM of $10.00 and a network line item has a value CPM of $7.00, the network line item still preempts the price priority line item.
| DFP sales management
Set a value CPM
To set a value CPM for non-guaranteed line item:
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Delivery Orders.
- Click the order containing the line item you'd like to edit.
- Click the line item you'd like to edit and then click the Settings tab.
- Click set value CPM next to the Cost field and enter a value CPM amount.
- Click Save.
Example: AdSense and Ad Exchange competition with network, bulk, and price priority line items
If your network has AdSense or Ad Exchange enabled, when the ad server selects a bulk, network, or price priority line item to serve, it compares the "Rate" of that prospective line item with the price of an AdSense or Ad Exchange ad. If the CPM of the AdSense or Ad Exchange line item is greater than the CPM of the bulk, network, or price priority line item, the ad server serves the AdSense or Ad Exchange line item.
In the example above, you could set a value CPM for your network, bulk, or price priority line item to be used as the rate for competition with Ad Exchange and AdSense ads instead of using the "Rate" value.
Report on value CPM
To report on value CPM, you can use the "average eCPM" metrics in DFP reporting.