Create click tracking line items
You can create a click tracking line item to track clicks on any of your content. The line items themselves are not served by DoubleClick for Publishers and don't count impressions. Tracking is done via a click command that you generate.
Create a click tracking line item
To create a click tracking line item that you can easily report on and that your site properly serves, you first create an ad unit or placement specifically for your text link, create the line item in DFP, and then send the click tracking URL to your webmaster.
First, create an ad unit or placement for your text links
We recommend that you create at least one ad unit dedicated to your text links as that will easily let you distinguish them in your reports from other types of ad units. See Create an ad unit and Create a placement to learn how.
Since text link line items are served by you, not DFP, ad units that you create for text links are only used for reporting purposes. If your organization uses text links in multiple ways (Flash click-through, hard coded on site, in conjunction with a third party, etc.) you could also choose to create a unique ad unit for those different modes. You can use whatever naming convention you prefer when creating the ad unit. We recommend setting the size to 1x1.
Next, create your text link line items
You must create a line item for each text link you want to serve.
- Create a line item.
- Click the “Type” drop-down in the “Settings” section and select Click-tracking only.
- Enter the dates, limit, and cost. The limit is the maximum number of clicks that DFP should track. Subsequent clicks redirect to the destination URL, but are not counted.
- Select the ad unit or placement that you created to specifically report on this line item, as mentioned above.
Since DFP doesn't serve text link line items, they can't be targeted to specific audiences.
- Click Save and upload creatives. The destination URL for the text link is entered on the “Creative” page.
- Enter a name for the creative. For example, you can use the text you'll use for the text link.
- Enter a destination URL.
The destination URL you enter is automatically inserted into the ad tag. When you pause a click tracking line item, or if it's before or after the creative run dates, DFP does not insert the destination URL and the line item stops running.
- Click Save and approve the order, if needed.
Last, create the click tracking URL and send it to your webmaster
You can generate click tracking URLs for Google Publisher Tags (GPT):
- Open the click-tracking line item.
- Locate the "Generate click tracking link" drop-down and select an ad unit.
The link displays below the drop-down list.
- Highlight and copy the link, and send it to your webmaster.
If you want to append key-values that can be tracked in the Data Transfer “CustomTargeting” field (known as Key-values in the user interface), append key-values with the
key=value to this click tracking URL, you would add:
An improperly formatted click tracker will produce a "500: Internal Server Error." When it's working correctly, the click tracker generates a "302: Found" response.
Reporting on text link line items
Even though you can't target text link line items to audiences, non-targeted values are still included in reports.
Text link line items have hard cut-offs. DFP stops counting clicks on text link line items once their end dates pass even if the click limit isn't reached.