Creating an event
Creating an event from scratch
- Hover over the Group tools tab on your Meetup group’s homepage.
- Select Schedule a Meetup from the dropdown menu,
- Once you’ve filled out the details of your event choose either "Schedule this Meetup" to publish it right away or "Save as draft".
Tagging an event
When you create your events in Meetup, please be sure to use the proper keywords in the title or description of your Meetup event. We will be searching your event titles and descriptions for the following keywords. If those keywords are found, your event will be tagged with the associated Category. There is no more need for manual tagging of events to be associated with product and event categories.
|Assistant||actions on google, assistant sdk, google assistant|
|Cloud||cloud, GCP, Google Cloud Platform, App Engine|
|Cloud NEXT||cloudnext, cloud next|
|IoT||android things, devkit, dev kit, iot|
|I/O Extended||io extended, i/o extended|
|Machine Learning||artificial intelligence, machine learning, tensorflow|
|Material Design||material design|
|Study Jam||study jam, studyjam|
|Web||web, progressive web apps, pwa, chrome|
|VR/AR||virtual reality, augmented reality, daydream, tango|
Creating an event from a templateSometimes for large event series, the GDG program will create an event template that will speed up your creation of the event on Meetup. These are option to use, and you can still edit and customize them for your specific event.
- In Meetup, select “Schedule a new Meetup”.
- Click the button “Choose a template” and select the template from the list that matches the event series. (e.g. DevFest)
- Set your date, time, location of the event.
- The event Details will be pre-populated with the template details, which you can modify and change.
- Don’t forget to include all the keywords in your event details about the product topics you’ll be discussing to ensure proper category tagging.
Can I create an event in the past?
We sometimes partner with another group/venue that has their own registration system. What if I want to create an event for awareness & reporting, but sent people to another location for registration?
- In the event details, please call out where members should actually register.
- Limit the attendees to 1.
- When you create the event, select “Do Not Show to Members”.
This will prevent the event from being advertised by Meetup and from appearing in search results. Visitors to your Meetup page will still see it as an upcoming event.
- After the event, use the event reporting function to share the actual number of attendees.