Media planning for in-stream video creatives
If you're a media planner, follow the steps below to plan for in-stream video trafficking in Campaign Manager. You need to make sure your publisher's site supports in-stream video creatives, and that your developer prepares a creative with the right specifications.
Once media planning is complete, the traffickers can set up your in-stream video creative in Campaign Manager.
Media planning steps
Once you reach an agreement with a site to show video content, confirm that the site supports the VAST 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0 standard. Sites must adopt the VAST standard to support in-stream creatives, or your videos may not render properly.My site does not support VAST 2.0, VAST 3.0, or VAST 4.0.
- Sites on Google Ad Manager: ask the site to work with Google Ad Manager support.
- Sites using other vendors (such as Brightcove or Lightningcast): ask the site to work with the vendor.
- If the site's player is home-built, the site should refer to IAB's VAST 2.0, VAST 3.0, or VAST 4.0 compliance page. (Be sure the site can parse a standardized XML response with asset URLs and fit the parsed file into their content management system (CMS)/serving infrastructure.)
Collect site specifications. Even if a site supports the VAST 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0 standard, it may not support your in-stream creative. Sites have different requirements for video assets and companion banners, including the kind of tracking they support.
Request these details from the sites on your media plan:General
- Is the site VAST 2.0, VAST 3.0, or VAST 4.0 compliant?
- File size (1 MB, 1.5 MB, other)
- Orientation (landscape/horizontal, portrait/vertical, or square)
- Aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9, other)
- Dimensions (480x360, 640x360, other)
- Video time (15s, 30s, other)
- Video bitrate (400kbps, 1mbps, other)
- Dimensions (300x250, 336x280, 728x90, other)
- Animation time (15s, 30s, other)
- K size (30 K, 40 K, other)
In addition to impressions and clicks, does your site player SDK support firing the following video tracking? (yes/no)
- First quartile
- Third quartile
- Full Screen
- Custom click
Ask your publisher whether there are any additional requirements.
- If you can't confirm the site specifications, make sure you follow our list below of best practices for packing video assets. This should help your developer provide a version that is supported on most sites.
Developer best practices for Campaign Manager in-stream videoOverview
Following our best practices for high-definition videos can help ensure that your creative can serve on most sites that support VAST 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0.
If you can't gather all the site-specific details you need before building a creative, these guidelines can help you avoid potential live issues. This is not a guarantee, so it's always best to get site-specific details whenever possible.If you include multiple serving files and/or URLs, the publisher's system can choose the best version of your asset for each impression, based on factors such as device type, connection speed, and the video player on the site. Including multiple serving files can also allow users to select different resolution settings when viewing your video.
|Video and audio||