Since its initial release, Data Studio has used Google Drive to store and share reports, data sources, and explorations. To enable a number of product improvements, we will be migrating all Data Studio files away from Drive.
No action required
You do not need to take any action.
You’ll be able to keep using Data Studio the same way you are today, with the same sharing and real-time collaboration features you’re used to.
For consumers, your existing Data Studio files will be migrated in the next few weeks. Anyone who currently has access to reports or data sources you’ve created will continue to have access.
For G Suite users, your Data Studio files will not be migrated yet. G Suite admins will receive further instructions about how to migrate their users.
What’s changing and why
Once the migration is completed, files you create in Data Studio will no longer be accessible through Google Drive. This change will facilitate product improvements, like better search, a simplified process for connecting to data, and improved admin and file management capabilities. If you’ve been using Drive to organize your Data Studio reports, you’ll soon be able to do this directly in Data Studio.
Revoke data source credentials
We’ve made it easier to control how data sources work with your credentials. When you create a data source with Owner’s credentials, that data source will be able to retrieve data using your credentials until you choose otherwise. Learn more about data source credentials.
New sharing dialog
You can still share new and migrated files in the same ways as in Drive, but once your files are migrated, you'll notice some differences in how you manage sharing settings. Here's the new Share with others dialog:
- The Add people tab lets you enter individual email addresses or Google Group names to share the report with.
- The default permission is Can View. To allow other people to edit your report, change this to Can Edit.
- Click Send to share the report and notify your viewers or editors. To share without sending a notification, uncheck Notify people.
- The Manage access tab lets you configure advanced sharing settings.
- Use the link sharing options to share your report more widely than using individual addresses or groups.
- You can specify different access options for individual people or groups.
- Use these options to prevent other editors from changing access, adding people, or prevent viewers from downloading, printing, or copying your file.
Learn more about how to share reports and data sources.