The Explorer creates explorations. An exploration can contain one or more tabs. Each tab contains a single visualization to help you quickly find insights and patterns in your data. There are several ways to create explorations
Explorer is currently an early stage experimental feature. We are actively working to improve the tool, so you can expect this feature to change rapidly, and there may be some rough edges.
Additionally, this feature is being released gradually. You may not see have access to this feature for several weeks. Thanks for your patience!
To give us feedback, click the button below to post to the Data Studio Help Forum. Include "Data Studio Explorer" in your subject line.
Explore your data source
Save time by using the Explorer to delve into the data coming from your data source before creating a report. For example, you might want to see what the data in a shared data source looks like before designing and building a report based on that data source.
To explore a data source:
- Edit the data source
- In the top right, click EXPLORE.
Explore a chart in a report
Exploring the charts in a report gives your viewers a way to perform ad hoc analysis of the data, without giving them edit access to the report itself. To explore a chart in a report, right click the chart, then select EXPLORE. The chart opens in the Explorer, with all the dimensions, metrics, filters, and date ranges applied from the chart.
To use this feature, report viewers must also have view access to the data source.
Create explorations from scratch
- Sign in to Data Studio.
- In the top left, click .
- Select Explorer.
- On the right, select an existing data source, or at the bottom of the data source list click CREATE NEW DATA SOURCE.
Use the Explorer
When you first create an exploration, you'll see a table containing a few of the fields you elected to import. Visually and functionally, customizing the exploration is similar to configuring a single chart in a report:
- Use the properties panel to add or change the dimensions and metrics in the chart.
- Switch between chart types using the toolbar on top of the properties panel.
- Resize columns in a table or pivot table by dragging the column header dividers.
- Resize a Cartesian chart by dragging the chart edges.
- Hover over a chart to displays an info card for the current data point (just like a report in view mode).
Add more charts
- To add new charts to the exploration, click the chart icons in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- To move or resize the charts on the canvas:
- On the left of the toolbar, enter selection mode by clicking .
- Drag the edges of the chart to resize, or drag from the middle of the chart to move it.
- Return to view mode by clicking .
Use tabs for multiple views of your data
Adding tabs to an exploration lets you display different views of your data in a single exploration.
To add a tab, in the lower left, click +.
To rename, duplicate, or remove a tab, mouse of the tab name, then click .