You can filter the data in an exploration, just as you can in reports. Your filters appear in the filter bar at the top of the Explorer.
Explorer is currently an early stage experimental feature. We are actively working to improve the tool, so you can expect this feature to change rapidly, and there may be some rough edges.
Additionally, this feature is being released gradually. You may not see have access to this feature for several weeks. Thanks for your patience!
To give us feedback, click the button below to post to the Data Studio Help Forum. Include "Data Studio Explorer" in your subject line.
Types of filters
To create a simple filter, click + in the filter bar, then select the field by which you want to filter. You can also drag a field from the available fields panel on the right to the filter bar.
To configure the filter, click the field in the filter bar:
- For dimension filters, use the checkboxes to select the dimension values to include or exclude from the chart.
- For metric filters, enter a minimum and/or maximum value for that metric.
- For date filters, use the calendar to select the date range. (You can also change a date filter's settings to show dates in a list view, with checkboxes.)
Advanced filters let you include multiple fields and clauses (just like filter properties in reports).
To create an advanced filter:
- Click + in the filter bar.
- Click ADD ADVANCED FILTER.
- Name the filter.
- Select Include or Exclude. Include filters include only data that matches the expression you provide. Exclude filters remove all data that matches the expression.
- Select the dimension or metric by which to filter.
- Select the comparison operator (e.g. Equals, Contains, Greater than, etc.).
- Provide a comparison value for the expression.
- (Optional) To add an OR clause, click OR on the right of the condition.
- (Optional) To add an AND clause, click AND below the clause.
- Click SAVE.
To edit an advanced filter's conditions, click the filter in the filter bar.
To edit a simple filter's conditions, click the filter's More menu, then select Settings.
Configure dimension filters
You configure a simple dimension filter the same way you'd configure a filter control in a report. You can select a new dimension, provide a metric by which to sort the dimension value list
Configure metric filters
Metric filters are applied after any aggregation has been done to your data. For example, if your exploration contains the Country dimension and filters on the sum of Revenue, the filter is applied to the total amount per country, not to every row of your data.
To change the aggregation of metric filters (say from SUM to AVG):
- Click the filter's More menu, then select Settings.
- In the Filter Properties panel on the right, click the field's data type icon on the left-hand portion of the field. (For metrics, the data type icon shows 123.)
- Select the new aggregation.
Configure date filters
Date filters automatically display using the calendar view. You can change this to a checkbox list by the clicking the filter's More menu, then select List View.
Delete and disable filters
To temporarily disable a filter, click the filter's More menu, then select Disable.
To delete the filter permanently, click the filter's More menu, then select Delete.