Use report and layout settings to adjust page size, configure navigation, change layout grid settings, and change the order in which report-level components appear.
You can customize individual pages in the report by changing their size and background color.In this article:
To customize layout for the whole report:
- Edit the report.
- In the toolbar, click Theme and layout.
- On the right, select LAYOUT.
View mode settings
These settings are in effect when the report is in view mode.
The header visibility settings control the behavior of the report header in view mode. The header contains things like the report title, the share button, and edit button.
- Always show—the report header is always visible.
- Auto hide—the report header appears briefly, then is hidden. Hover your mouse over the header area to redisplay it.
- Initially hidden—the report header is hidden until you hover your mouse over the header area.
The navigation type settings control how the pagination controls appear in your report.
- Left. Pages appear in a collapsible drawer in the left margin of your report.
- Tab. Pages appear as tabbed links at the top of the report.
- Top Left. Pages appear in a drop-down menu above the report.
- Hidden. No page navigation is displayed.
Learn more about adding pages and report navigation.
Respect report theme
The display mode settings govern how your report fits in the browser window.
- Fit to width scales the components in the report in proportion to the width of the window.
- Actual size displays the report components at the same size they were created.
- Has margin shows or hides the margin area surrounding the report. Hiding the margin makes the report appear to occupy the entire window.
The canvas size settings control the width and height of your report on the screen. Select a preset size or enter custom display dimensions. Preset sizes include:
- US Letter (4:3) - Portrait
- US Letter (4:3) - Landscape
- Screen (16:9) - Portrait
- Screen (16:9) - Landscape
Custom canvas size
You can set the canvas size from a minimum of 10px by 10px to a maximum of 2000px wide by 10,000px high.
The snap to settings can help you layout the components of your report.
Smart guides display colored lines to help you align, resize, and space the selected components:
- Align components: while moving a component, a red line appears to show when it is aligned with other components on the canvas.
Resize components: while resizing a component, blue lines appear to show when that component is the same length or width as other components on the canvas, and the current size in pixels is also shown.
Space components: while moving one or more components, blue lines appear when those components are spaced equally with other components on the canvas.
Grid aligns the selected components to the visible grid on the report canvas.
The minimum canvas grid size is 10 px. You can adjust this with the Grid Settings settings. Increasing the grid size makes it easier to layout your charts, controls, and other components.
- Size sets the height and width of the grid squares.
- Padding adds space within the grid squares. Use this to separate components in adjacent squares.
- Horizontal offset sets left and right margins on the edges of your report. Use a positive number for left offset. Use a negative number for the right offset.
- Vertical offset sets top and bottom margins on the edges of your report. Use a positive number for top offset. Use a negative number for the bottom offset. Use this to provide space for headers and footers.
When you place a new component on the canvas that can fit into one or more grid squares, the component "snaps" in position and fills the grid, making it easy to size and line up new components in rows and columns. ("Fill the square" behavior begins with a grid size of 15 px or greater.)
Report-level component position
This option determines how report-level components interact with other components on the page.
- Top positions report-level components in front of all other components (similar to using the Arrange > Order > Bring to front menu).
- Bottom positions report-level components behind all other components (similar to using the Arrange > Order > Send to back menu).
Current page settings
To customize an individual page in the report:
- Edit the report.
- Navigate to that page.
- In the menus, select Page > Current page settings, then on the right, select STYLE.
Select a background color for the current page.
Select a preset size, enter a custom size, or select Auto to use the report's default canvas size for the page.