You can control the way your report appears on the viewer's screen using the options in the Layout tab of the Theme and Layout panel.
The Theme and Layout panel appears when no report components are selected. You can display this panel at any time by clicking Theme and Layout in the toolbar. Many of the options described here are also found in the View menu.
View mode options
The header visibility options control the behavior of the report header in view mode. The header contains things like the report title, the share button, and edit button.
- Always show—the report header is always visible.
- Auto hide—the report header appears briefly, then is hidden. Hover your mouse over the header area to redisplay it.
- Initially hidden—the report header is hidden until you hover your mouse over the header area.
The navigation position options control how the pagination controls appear in your report.
- Left displays the report page navigation in a collapsible panel on the left.
- Top displays the report page navigation above the report.
The display mode options govern how your report fits in the browser window.
- Fit to width scales the components in the report in proportion to the width of the window.
- Actual size displays the report components at the same size they were created.
- Has margin shows or hides the margin area surrounding the report. Hiding the margin makes the report appear to occupy the entire window.
The canvas size options let you select from a number of preset sizes or enter custom display dimensions. Preset sizes include:
- US Letter (4:3) - Portrait
- US Letter (4:3) - Landscape
- Screen (16:9) - Portrait
- Screen (16:9) - Landscape
The snap to options govern how components you place on the report are positioned.
Smart guides display colored lines to help you align, resize, and space the selected components:
- Align components: while moving a component, a red line appears to show when it is aligned with other components on the canvas.
Resize components: while resizing a component, blue lines appear to show when that component is the same length or width as other components on the canvas, and the current size in pixels is also shown.
Space components: while moving one or more components, blue lines appear when those components are spaced equally with other components on the canvas.
Grid aligns the selected components to the visible grid on the report canvas.
To turn the visible grid on the report canvas on or off, use the View > View grid menu.
The minimum canvas grid size is 10 px. You can adjust this with the Grid Settings options. Increasing the grid size makes it easier to layout your charts, controls, and other components.
- Size sets the height and width of the grid squares.
- Padding adds space within the grid squares. Use this to separate components in adjacent squares.
- Horizontal offset sets left and right margins on the edges of your report. Use a positive number for left offset. Use a negative number for the right offset.
- Vertical offset sets top and bottom margins on the edges of your report. Use a positive number for top offset. Use a negative number for the bottom offset. Use this to provide space for headers and footers.
When you place a new component on the canvas that can fit into one or more grid squares, the component "snaps" in position and fills the grid, making it easy to size and line up new components in rows and columns. ("Fill the square" behavior begins with a grid size of 15 px or greater.)
Report-level component position
This option determines how report-level components interact with other components on the page.
- Top positions report-level components in front of all other components (similar to using the Arrange > Order > Bring to front menu).
- Bottom positions report-level components behind all other components (similar to using the Arrange > Order > Send to back menu).