Create, edit, and manage filters
Add a filter to a chart or control
- Edit your report.
- Select the chart or control you want to filter. You can also filter a group of charts and/or controls.
- Select the DATA tab in the Properties panel.
- Click +Add a filter.
- Click CREATE NEW FILTER.
You can also reuse an existing filter
- Name the filter.
- Select Include or Exclude. Include filters include only data that matches the expression you provide. Exclude filters remove all data that matches the expression.
- Select the dimension or metric by which to filter.
- Select the comparison operator (e.g. Equals, Contains, Greater than, etc.).
- Provide a comparison value for the expression.
- (Optional) To add an OR clause, click OR on the right of the condition.
- (Optional) To add an AND clause, click AND below the clause.
- Click SAVE.
Add a filter to the entire report or to a page
For the entire report
For a page
|Select the File > Report settings menu.||
Select the Page > Current page settings menu.
The rest of the steps are the same as above.
Edit a filter
- Edit your report
- Select the chart or control that has the filter. Or use the page settings or report theme menus, as described above.
- Select the DATA tab in the Properties panel
- Click edit
You can also edit and create filters using the filter manager.
Reuse an existing filter
Once you've added a filter to a report, you can use it in other components or even other reports.Adding an existing filter to a component reuses that filter. Reusing a filter does not create a copy of the filter. It's actually the same filter, so if you later edit it in one place, that changes the filter everywhere in the report.
Copy components and reports with filters
When you make a copy of a page or component within a report, its filters are reused by the copy.
If you copy a filtered component into a different report, Data Studio makes a new copy of the filter. It has no relationship to the original filter. Note that if you copy and paste the component a second time, you will get another copy of the filter. The 2 copies are not related.
If you make a copy of a report and change the data source, any filters in the report get the new data source.
The filter manager lists of all the filters in a report. Use this list to edit or remove filters. You can also create a new filter using the filter manager.
To display the filter manager:
- Edit your report
- Select Resource > Manage filters from the top menu