You can edit data source in the following ways:
Edit a data source from the home page
- Sign in to Data Studio.
- At the top of the Data Studio home page, click Data Sources.
- Browse or search for the data source you wish to edit.
- Click that data source in the list.
Edit a data sources from within a report
- Edit your report.
- In the menus, select Resource > Manage added data sources.
- Locate the data source in the list, then to the right, click Edit .
You can also edit the data source for a specific component:
- Edit your report.
- Select a component.
On the right, in the DATA tab, edit the data source by clicking .
The data source editor interface
Data source editor legend
- Data source name. Click to change the name.
- Version history. View and restore previous versions of the data source .
- Next to version history is Share this data source with other people .
- Data source options:
- Data credentials. Determines how data from this data source can be viewed by others.
- Data freshness. Balance data updates with report performance.
- Community visualizations access. Allow this data source to provide data to community visualizations.
- Field editing in reports. Allows report editors to change field names and aggregations, apply analytical functions, and set field display options without needing to edit the data source.
- Make a copy of this data source.
- Create report. Create a new report from this data source.
- Explore. Create a new exploration from this data source.
- Add a field. Create a calculated field.
- Edit connection. The data source owner can reconnect the data source.
(Not shown: Filter by email address. Add row level security to your data.
- Fields. Dimensions appear in green chips, metrics in blue chips, parameters in purple chips. Click a field to give it a new name. To perform other field actions, click More .
- Field type. Determines the kind of data contained in the field. Click the drop-down menu to change the type. Use caution: changing field types can have a big impact on your reports.
- Aggregation. Determines how the field is summarized. Click the drop-down menu to change the aggregation. Fields with AUTO aggregation can't be changed.
- Calculated fields. Click fx to edit the field formula.
- Refresh fields. Click to update the data source with any structural changes made to the underlying data set.
- Field count. Displays the number of fields in the data source.
Who can edit a data source
To modify a data source, you must have at least edit access to the data source (for reusable data sources), or edit access to the report (for embedded data sources). Report viewers (users who only have Can View access to the report) can only see the data as provided by the visualizations and charts on the report.
If you have Can Edit access to a data source, you can:
- Share the data source
- Rename the data source
- Rename fields
- Duplicate fields
- Create calculated fields
- Create parameters
- Change field aggregations
- Change field types
- Refresh data source fields
If you are the owner of the data source, or the owner of the data credentials used by the data source, you can also:
- Remove and restore the data source
- Connect to a different data set
- Change or revoke the data credentials
If you are the owner of the data source, you can also:
- Make someone else the owner of that data source