Find your way around Data Studio
See a visual overview the Data Studio interface.
In this article:
Find your way around the Home page
- Report samples and templates. Start with a blank report, or customize a fully functional template.
- Google Analytics 360 Suite product selector (Analytics 360 Suite users only)
- Use the overflow menu to send feedback and access help
- Google profile icon. Manage your Google account
- (Not shown) Google Analytics 360 Suite organization selector (Analytics 360 Suite users only)
- Category tabs. Filter the list of reports or data sources to show all files, those owned by you, those shared with you, and files in the trash.
- Search. Find reports or data sources quickly
- Sort the file list
- Tool selector. Switch between reports and data sources. The DATA SOURCES Home page is very similar to REPORTS Home.
- File list. Click a report or data source to view it.
- Click the overflow menu to do more things with the file, such as share or remove it.
- Choose from a number of video tutorials to watch.
- Create new report.
Find your way around the report editor
- Logo. Click to return to the REPORT Home page.
- Menu bar. Many menu functions can also be accessed by right-clicking a component.
- (From left to right:)
- Cache control. Update the cache.
- Copy report. Create a duplicate of this report.
- View/Edit toggle. Switch between edit and view mode.
- Suite organization icon. Switch between organizations (Google Analytics Suite 360 users only)
- Google profile icon. Manage your Google account.
- Page controls. Add pages to and remove pages from the report. Navigate to and rename pages.
- Selection mode | Undo | Redo.
- Chart tools. Click a chart tool, then draw a box on the page to add that chart to your report.
- Text , image, and shape tools. Add annotations, graphics, and geometric shapes to your report.
- Date range & Filter tools. Add interactive controls that let users refine the report.
- Share button. Share this report with other people
- Charts. Charts visualize the dimensions and metrics from your data sources. Select a chart to display the properties panel for that chart.
- Page Build your report here.
- Properties panel. Configure the settings and properties for the currently selected component.
Find your way around the data source editor
- Data source name. Click to change the name.
- Field editing in reports. Allows report editors to change field names and aggregations, apply analytical functions, and set field display options without needing to edit the data source.
- Data source credentials. Determines how data from this data source can be viewed by others.
- Share. Share this data source with other people.
- Copy. Make a copy of this data source.
- Add new field. Create a calculated field.
- Create report. Create a new report from this data source.
- Edit connection. The data source owner can reconnect the data source.
- Search. Locate fields in this data source.
- Fields. Dimensions appear in green chips, metrics in blue chips. Click a chip to rename a field. Click the More menu to perform other field actions .
- Field type. Determines the kind of data contained in the field. Click the drop-down menu to change the type. Use caution: changing field types can have a big impact on your reports.
- Aggregation. Determines how the field is summarized. Click the drop-down menu to change the aggregation. Fields with AUTO aggregation can't be changed.
- Description. Use this to document your fields. Only appears in the data source, has no effect in reports.
- Refresh fields. Click to update the data source with any structural changes made to the underlying data set.
- Field count. Displays the number of fields in the data source.