In Data Studio, charts are any component that visualizes data, while controls give you a way to interact with that data, for example, by applying a filter, selecting a date range, or providing input to a parameter.
Add a chart to the report
Data Studio comes with a number of preconfigured charts, which you can add to your report and then customize as needed. To learn more about specific charts, see the chart references.
To add a chart to the report.
Add a control to the report
Controls, such as dimensions filters, date range controls, and the data control, make reports interactive by letting viewers customize the data displayed in your reports.
To add a control to the report:
- Edit your report.
- In the toolbar, select Add a control.
- Select the control type, then place it in a nice spot.
- On the right, configure the chart using the properties panel.
- To filter the report by selected dimension values, use a dimension for the Control field.
- To set the value of a parameter, use that parameter as the Control field.
- To change the appearance of the data control, use the options in the Style tab of the properties panel.
Switch the chart type
You can switch between chart types without having to create a new chart. This lets you see how your data looks using different visualization techniques.
- Select a chart.
- On the right, in the properties panel, click Chart .
- Select the new chart type.
Data Studio adjusts the default dimensions and metrics to best suit the selected chart type. Any customizations you've made to the chart, including adding or changing dimensions and metrics, style options, filters, or segments are preserved so you can switch back to the originally selected chart.
You can also switch between control types in a similar fashion.
Add other components to the report
Use the toolbar icons or the Insert menu to add other components to the current page. Besides charts and controls, you can add the following kinds of components to your reports:
- Images, text boxes, rectangles, lines, and circles add stylistic elements, letting you brand your reports and make them visually appealing. Learn more about adding design components.
- Embedded external content, such videos, Google Docs, and external websites, let you create reports that integrate a wide variety of content. Learn more about embedding external content.
Arrangement and layout options
Use the options in the View and Arrange menus to control where components appear on the report canvas. For example, when you place new objects on the canvas, or move them with the mouse or keyboard, you can choose whether they "snap to grid" or not. Options in the Arrange menu let align components with each other and distribute them on the page.
Work with multiple components at once
You can work with multiple components at the same time. Just select the components you want to work with (known as "multi selecting"), then perform an action to apply to all the selected items. For example, you can resize several charts at once, as shown below:
Other multi select actions include editing shared properties, grouping, aligning, copying, and deleting.