You've created a beautiful and compelling story told with data. Now it's time to share it.
Sharing a report lets other people view and interact with it. Sharing a data source lets other people use it to create their own reports.In this article:
How sharing works
The following points apply to both data sources and reports:
- Data Studio uses Google Drive for sharing and storing files.
- If your organization blocks access to Drive, you can't share reports or data sources.
- When you first create a report or data source, it is private to you.
- If you create or move the Data Studio file to a shared folder in Google Drive, those sharing settings apply to the file.
- You can share a report or data source with specific users, with a Google Group, or via a shareable link.
- Sharing permissions determine who can edit and who can view the report or data source.
How sharing a report works
- When you share a report with view permission, no login is required to view the report. A Google login is required to edit a report.
- Sharing a report does NOT share direct access to any added data sources.
- Data sources must be shared separately from reports.
- If you share a report with edit permission, other editors can use the dimensions and metrics from added data sources to create or edit charts and controls in the report, even if you haven't shared those data sources with them.
How sharing a data source works
- A Google login is required to view or edit a data source.
- Sharing a data source never grants access to the data set.
- Sharing a data source with view permission allows the viewer to see the schema (structure) of the data source, but they can't change it.
- Sharing a data source with edit permission allows editors to change the schema.
- Other editors can't edit the data source connection. Only the data source owner can do that.
Sharing a data source vs. data source credentials
It's not necessary to share a report's data sources for other people to view the report. Authorization to see the data in a report is governed by data source credentials. Viewers of a report can see the data they are authorized to see whether or not the data source is shared with them.
You can share a report or data source with either Can view or Can edit access permission.
Can view access lets users see the report as a whole, or see the schema of the data source. View access to a report lets people interact with any filters or date range controls available. It does not let users change the data source or report in any way.
Can edit access lets users modify the report or data source. For reports, users can add, change or remove charts and controls. They can add and remove data sources, change the report styling, and set up new filters or modify existing ones.
Edit access to a data source lets users modify its schema. They can add or change calculated fields, disable and enable fields, and change data types and field aggregations (when permitted by the data source).
For both reports and data sources, you can restrict sharing, downloading, and copying of the files. Finally, you can make someone else the owner of the report or data source.
Report sharing details
The table below shows what you can do with reports using the different access permissions. "Public" means the report has been shared with view access, and the link sharing option "Anyone with the link can view" or "Public on the web."
|Action||Public||Can view||Can edit||Is owner|
|View data in the report
(depending on data source credentials)
|Copy the report||x||x||x|
|Prevent report copying||x|
|Share the report with others||x||x||x|
|Prevent report sharing||x|
|Modify the report||x||x|
|Use and modify data from added data sources||x||x|
|Add / remove data sources||x||x|
|Create / delete the report||x|
|Download data from the report||x||x||x||x|
|Prevent downloading data||x|
Data source sharing details
This table shows what you can do with data sources using the different access permissions. Data sources can't be shared publicly.
|Action||Can view||Can edit||Is owner|
|Add the data source to reports||x||x||x|
View data from the data source via reports
|View the data source schema||x||x||x|
|Share / stop sharing the data source with others||x||x|
|Modify the data source||x||x|
|Copy the data source||x||x||x|
|Prevent data source copying||x|
|Change data source credentials||x|
|Access the data set||x|