Use Autocompletions to suggest searches quickly
Autocompletions shows users useful queries while they are typing. For example, with autocompletions enabled, when someone starts typing "ta" into your search engine, they might see autocompletions like "tavern" or "tapestry." Google generates these autocompletions by analyzing several characteristics of your search engine, including the content of the pages it includes.
Turn on autocompletions:
- From the control panel, select the search engine you want to edit.
- Click Search features from the menu on the left and then click the Autcomplete tab.
- Click on the slider to set Enable autocomplete to On. It can take up to 2-4 days for autocomplete to start appearing on your search engine.
Under the Advanced menu in the Autocomplete tab, you can specify three types of behavior for autocompletions on your search engine:
- Prefix: Queries will only trigger autocompletions that begin with the query.
- Ordered: Queries will only trigger autocompletions that contain the query in the same order somewhere in the autocompletion.
- Any: Queries will trigger any autocompletions that contain the query, regardless of location or order.
While Google will suggest autocompletions automatically, you have several options for manually adding or removing autocompletions. In the Autocomplete tab, you can add:
- Included: Autocompletions you add here will always be shown when a user types a matching query. You can also add a score of any number between 0 and 10,000 to rank autocompletions. Higher scored autocompletions will be shown before lower scored autocompletions.
- Excluded: Autocompletions you add here will never be shown, even when the user types a matching query.
- Excluded patterns: You can use regular expressions to exclude any autocompletions that match a certain pattern.
- Promotions: Promote a URL in autocompletions. This will show more information than the usual autocompletion and will take the user right to the URL you specified. Once configured, autocomplete promotions will appear in your search engine in 24 hours.