Transliteration is the process of converting a word written in one language into another language. Transliteration is distinct from translation, which involves a change in language while maintaining the meaning of the word; transliteration instead converts the sound of the word from one language to another.
Enabling transliteration for your search engine allows your site visitors to type a query phonetically in one language and have that query appear in another language. For example, typing [ samachar ] will appear in Hindi as [ समाचार ], and typing [ akhbar alyoom ] will appear in Arabic as [ أخبار اليوم ]. You can see transliteration in action at the Arabic or Indic transliteration pages.
To enable transliteration for your search engine:
- On the Google Custom Search home page, click Manage your existing search engines.
- Click control panel next to the search engine you want.
- On the left-hand menu, under Control panel, click Basics.
- Under Language settings, select the language of your search engine.
- In the Transliteration section, click the On radio button.
- In the list of languages under the radio button, select one or more corresponding transliteration languages.
You can test the transliteration functionality on the Preview page of your search engine. If you've enabled multiple transliteration languages, you can toggle between them by selecting the button that appears next to the Preview search box and choosing from the drop-down list.