About CS First
Overview of CS First
CS First provides free, easy-to-use computer science enrichment materials that engage a diverse student population in grades 4-8 (ages 9-14). Facilitators use the video content to teach kids coding basics with Scratch, a block-based coding tool. CS First is available online at http://g.co/csfirst and can be used by anyone, in any setting (in school, after school, or outside of school).
- A club consists of a group of students working on projects related to a specific theme.
- Each theme contains 8 activities and each activity can take roughly 60-75 minutes to complete (depending on the experience level of your students).
- Activities include instructional videos that guide students through creating a project in Scratch.
- Students typically work independently, but they are encouraged to collaborate with one another and share their work.
- You set up a club online
- We provide the content and materials, all for free
- You host the club
Anyone can run a club anywhere as long as you have:
- Headphones (recommended but not required)
While our content targets students in grades 4-8 (ages 9-14) you are welcome to try CS First with students outside of that range. We recommend reviewing the student content to see if CS First is a good fit for you and your students.
Setting up a CS First club allows you to:
- Request physical materials
- Track student progress
- Access tools to help you manage your club