Use Cloud Search with a screen reader
Google Cloud Search works with screen readers so you can navigate your search results and assist cards.
Cloud Search is compatible with the following combinations of desktop screen readers and browsers:
|Operating system||Screen reader||Browser|
|Chrome OS||ChromeVox||Google Chrome|
|Microsoft® Windows®||NVDA||Mozilla® Firefox®|
Search in Cloud Search
- When the page loads, your focus is in the search box. Type your search query, such as the name of a person or document.
- While typing, customized suggestions display. Use the Down arrow to move through the suggestions, then press Enter to select a suggestion.
Search results are under the search box. Each result has a heading with the name followed by several pieces of information, such as the content type.
- (Optional) To filter your search results, move your focus to the navigation links after the search box. For example, select Mail to search only within your mail.
- Navigate through the results using your screen reader commands for next and previous heading, or use the Up and Down arrows.
- Open a search result by pressing Enter.
On some screen readers, you can return to the search box from wherever you are on the search results page, by starting to type. What you type will be added to the end of the current search query.
Filter your search results
At the top of the results page, you can refine your search results by selecting filters. These filters narrow results based on the type of content and other criteria. For example, you can select filters to see only Google Docs that were edited in the past week, or only emails sent by you.
- On the results page, move your focus to the navigation links after the search box.
- Press Enter to select a filter, such as Drive or Mail. The page lists only results that match the filter.
- (Optional) To filter the results even more, navigate to Search tools after the filters, then press Enter.
- Press Tab to explore the drop-down lists, then press Enter to select:
- Any Time to filter by a different time frame, such as "Past Week."
- Everything to filter by ownership, either "Everything" (someone else) or "Owned by me."
- Any Type to filter by content type, such as Docs, PDF, or images.
To clear the filter and return to the complete list of results, navigate to the Clear option after the Search tools.
To change the filter, such as choosing Calendar instead of Mail, press Escape to return to the search box, then press Tab until you get to the filter.
Use assist cards on the homepage
Assist cards appear on your Cloud Search homepage to help you organize and prepare for your workday. You see timely, customized information, such as your scheduled meetings in Google Calendar and documents you recently worked on.
- When the page loads, assist cards are under the search box. Navigate to the assist cards using your screen reader commands for next and previous heading, or press Tab to move through each section of a card.
- To open a recommended document, press Enter.