Project quota requests
Why are there limits to how many projects I can create?
Quotas protect the Google Cloud Community from unforeseen spikes in usage. However, as your usage of Google Cloud Platform increases, you can request an increase in your quota.
When Google Cloud allocates resources to customers, we consider a variety of factors, including resources that most legitimate customers use, customer’s previous usage and history with Google Cloud, and previous abuse penalties. Customers might have different quota based on these and other factors.
How do I request more projects?
If you attempt to exceed your project limit, the console will prompt you to fill out a request form. This happens when you try to create a project but you have already reached your quota. The form will require you to specify the number of additional projects you need, along with their corresponding email accounts, billing accounts, and intended uses.
Note that you may need to make a payment in order to increase your quota (see below).
Why am I being asked to make a payment for more projects?
You may be asked to make a payment if your request for more projects indicates that you need projects that will use paid cloud services. The payment can be applied to any charges you incur in the future and will be visible as a credit in your account.
This payment is required to ensure paid services will be available for the projects you requested in the quota increase request form. This is a common requirement, because Google Cloud Platform services are paid (e.g., Compute Engine, Cloud SQL, and BigQuery).
The payment required varies depending on your billing history, the use cases described in your request form, the number of projects you request, and other factors.
I am still in Google Cloud Platform’s Free Trial period. Can I request more projects?
Yes, you may request additional projects even if you are still within the free trial period. Please note that if the request is to create projects that make use of paid cloud services, you may be asked to make a payment as part of the review process. For more information, see Why am I being asked to make a payment for more projects?
Also, if a payment is requested, you cannot apply your free trial credits for this process, however, your free trial credits can still be used for other ongoing activities. For more information, see Free trial quotas & limits.
I only use non-billable Google Cloud Platform services. Can I request more projects?
Yes, you can request more projects. You can submit a request for additional projects using a form. For more information, see How do I request more projects?
For users who utilize only free cloud services (e.g., Google Cloud Messaging), we consider several factors, including resources that most legitimate customers use, a customer’s previous usage and history with Google Cloud Platform, and previous abuse penalties to determine whether to grant/approve the request.
I got an approval for non-billable services, however, I now need to make use of paid Cloud Services.
If you previously got approval for free Cloud Service but now need to create projects that use a paid Cloud Service (e.g., Compute Engine, BigQuery, Cloud SQL, Cloud Storage, etc.), you must submit a request to increase your quota for paid services. For more information, see How do I request more projects?
Your request will be reviewed. We consider several factors, including resources that most legitimate customers use, a customer’s previous usage and history with Google Cloud, and previous abuse penalties to determine whether to grant/approve the request. As part of the review, you may be asked to make a payment. For more information, see Why am I being asked to make a payment for more projects?
How do I enable billing on my current project(s)?
If you have an existing billing account and want to associate it with your existing project(s), follow these steps:
- Go to the project listing page, https://console.developers.google.com/project.
- At the top right, from the Select a project drop-down list, click the project name for which you want to enable billing.
- Open the left side menu and then click Billing.
A dialog box displays Set the billing account for <my project name>.
- From the Choose account list, click a billing account name. Then, click Set account.
The Billing - Overview page displays the project name under Projects linked to this billing account.
Are there any best practices when requesting more projects?
Below are some of the best practices to help expedite the review process:
- Identify the email accounts and billing account for which you are making the request.
- Clearly state the number of projects you are requesting. Request the number of projects you need currently. You can request more projects as you grow your usage of Google Cloud Platform. We typically handle your quota requests within 2 business days.
- Consider the use-case of why you would need more projects and/or whether it is possible to accomplish the same activity with a lesser number of projects.
- When explaining your use-case, please be sure to clearly describe the reason. This will speed up the review process as well as reduce any unnecessary back-and-forth discussion about your use-case.
- If you previously made a request for additional projects and that was approved, it’s fine to make a new request. Be sure to let us know that a previous request was approved, as this also helps to speed up the review process.