As an admin, you can install ChromeOS Flex on Windows, Mac, or Linux devices so your users can get many of the features that are available on ChromeOS devices.
Before you begin
- Check to see if your device models are certified—Google regularly tests, maintains, and certifies ChromeOS Flex features and functionality on many individual models. While ChromeOS Flex might work on non-certified devices, we do not guarantee performance, functionality, or stability.
- For a full list of certified devices, see Certified models list.
- For information about certification end dates as well as supported and unsupported features, see About ChromeOS Flex certified models.
- ChromeOS Flex differs from ChromeOS—Learn about the differences between ChromeOS Flex and ChromeOS.
What you need
- Device to create the USB installer—The device that you use to create your USB installer can be different to the device you plan to install ChromeOS Flex on.
- I’m using Chromebook Recovery Utility—ChromeOS, Windows, or Mac device with the current version of Chrome browser.
- I’m not using Chromebook Recovery Utility—ChromeOS, Windows, Mac, or Linux device. Chrome browser not needed.
- USB drive
- 8 GB or more.
- From time to time, Sandisk or other USB drives might not work as installers. Find out more in Known issues.
All contents on the USB drive will be erased.
- Windows, Mac, or Linux device to install ChromeOS Flex on—your target device
- Google only guarantees ChromeOS Flex functionality on certified models.
- Variants of certified models might have unexpected issues.
- ChromeOS Flex might work on non-certified devices but performance, functionality, and stability are not guaranteed.
- Minimum device requirements:
- Architecture: Intel or AMD x86-64-bit compatible device
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal storage: 16 GB
- Bootable from USB drive
- BIOS: Full administrator access. You’ll need to boot from the ChromeOS Flex USB installer and make some adjustments in the BIOS if you run into issues.
- Processor and graphics: Components made before 2010 might result in a poor experience.
Note: Intel GMA 500, 600, 3600, and 3650 graphics hardware do not meet ChromeOS Flex performance standards.
- Create your USB installer with the ChromeOS Flex image.
- Boot your device using your USB installer.
- Install ChromeOS Flex on your device. Or, temporarily run ChromeOS Flex using the USB installer.
- Set up and enroll your ChromeOS Flex devices.
Google and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.