We've moved! Check out our community and ask a question at googlenestcommunity.com

/chromecast/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Chromecast with Google TV pauses video immediately after pressing play or selecting a video to play
I have 3 Chromecasts with Google TV. All three experience the same issue. It's happened in Netflix, Youtube, HBOMax, and other apps as well and also when trying to cast from my phone. Immediately after selecting a video it pauses instead of playing. Every time I press play it appears to play a frame or two and then pauses again. Unplugging the device doesn't resolve it but restarting it does temporarily. I tried using the Android TV remote on my phone and I get the same result as using the physical remote. Clearing the cache does nothing either.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (1)
Relevant Answer
Not sure if it will help anybody, but I to have this issue and am able to reproduce the issue pretty easily.  Cast youtube/netflix to my living room TV, then on my Google Home, I pull up a camera.  As soon as my camera is pulled up on the screen, anything any casting on a Google device automatically pauses.  Once I stop streaming the camera, the video/audio resumes.  Have tried about 8 times and hits the issue everytime.   With that said, I don't think I've been streaming a camera each time I've hit the issue, so this might not be what causes 100% of the issues, but something to keep in mind while we wait for a fix
marked this as an answer
All Replies (27)
Relevant Answer
Hello, thanks for taking the time to post your issue.

See a Chromecast with Google TV help article
Fix problems with your videos on Google TV

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've already looked at the article and it doesn't resolve the issue. As I stated clearing the cache does nothing and restarting only temporarily fixes the issue. All devices are up to date and the internet is working fine. I can switch to Roku and watch the same content on the same TV with no problems.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue. I contacted Google and after rebooting and then factory reset with no change they said it was an issue with the product itself and sent me a "new" (refurbished) one. But now only a week after having the new one... It's doing it again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey there,

I'm really sorry that the Chromecast with Google TV is giving you so much trouble, I understand this issue is obnoxious! I'll go ahead and ask some questions as well as offer some steps to narrow down the problem (feel free to skip the steps you already tried):
  • When did the issue start happening?
  • Is the Chromecast warm when the issue starts happening?
  • What device are you casting from?
Here are the steps I'd like you to try first:
  1. Reboot the Chromecast.
  2. Reboot the router.
  3. Make sure the Chromecast is up-to-date.
  4. Remove the Chromecast from Google Home and re-add it.
  5. Factory Reset the Chromecast
  6. If you can, set up a mobile hotspot and set-up the Chromecast on it and see if it works on another network.
Let me know the results so I can give the proper troubleshooting! Thank you for being patient, I appreciate it.

Thank you,
Jeran
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm also having this issue. And on the same apps: YouTube, HBO Max and Netflix.
I thought it was something related to audio/video settings, but I've tried different combinations and nothing works
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey there,

Was anyone who's having this issue able to give the steps I posted a try?

Just checking up,
Jeran
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've tried everything. Rebooting works but after a few hours the problem comes back. And this is happening across 3 Chromecasts w Google TV in 2 different homes, located in different states, with different ISPs and router setup (one is my main home and the other is a vacation home).

All 3 devices are hooked up in different TV models - all Roku OS though.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I think its been stated multiple times rebooting the Chromecast works but only temporarily. Nothing else seems to work. Even just pulling the plug and plugging it back in doesn't resolve the issue. I have to go into settings and hit restart. 2 of mine are also plugged into Roku TV's but one is not and another is plugged into an HDMI port in a vehicle and I have the issue on all 4 so it has nothing to do with the Roku OS.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I tried every step except trying it on a different internet with the original Chromecast I had bought and it never worked. The replacement I got that started acting up also I tried the basic steps besides factory reset and nothing worked. However, 3ish days ago it randomly started working correctly again and I haven't had an issue since. Idk what caused it to start working again however I doubt it had anything to do with my internet because I have very good internet and have never had an issue with connection on any of my other devices including old Chromecasts further away from router than the one with the issue. If it starts acting up again, I will try a hotspot though.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,

I also have this issue, support sent me a new Chromecast wgtv still the same issue. I bought the Ethernet power adaptor as support insisted it was my internet (even though I have 100gb fiber and Google wi-fi). I have a nest cam in my children's bedroom and I use it as baby monitor when they are at asleep. This is exactly when I have this issue!!! We are being penalised for being buying Google products.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/chromecast/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic