If your mobile device can’t find your Chromecast during setup, try the following solutions.
Step 1. Check your internet connection
- Make sure Chromecast is within 15-20 feet (4-6 meters) of the computer, phone, or tablet used for setup.
- Verify the color of the LED light. If this did not resolve the issue, continue to next step.
- Chromecast should be powered on with a white flashing LED light.
- The LED light color should change when power cycled.
- See here for more information about the LED light status.
- Check if the TV says "Set me up." If this did not resolve the issue, continue to next step.
- Check if other networks are visible and in range, including your home Wi-Fi. If this did not resolve the issue, continue to next step.
- Check if your computer or mobile device is connected to the Internet. If so, please make sure the computer or mobile device is connected via Wi-Fi only, and not by an Ethernet cable. If this did not resolve the issue, continue to next step.
- [Android devices only] If you are using an Android device powered by Android Marshmallow, make sure “Location Services” is turned ON.
- [iPhone/iPad only] If you are using an iPhone or iPad, make sure Bluetooth is turned ON.
Step 2. Troubleshooting steps
- Completely close the Google Home app and then reopen it. If this did not resolve the issue, continue to next step.
- Turn Wi-Fi off/on from the setup device, then reopen the Google Home app. If this did not resolve the issue, continue to next step.
- Try using another device to set up the Chromecast device. If this did not resolve the issue, continue to next step.
Perform a factory reset
You can perform a factory reset on your Chromecast by using one of the two methods listed below.
Important: This action will clear your data and can't be undone.
From the Chromecast device
- While the Chromecast is plugged into the TV, hold down the button on the Chromecast device for at least 25 seconds or until the solid LED light turns into a flashing red light.
- Once the LED light turns blinking white and the TV goes blank, release the button. The device will begin the reboot sequence.
From the Google Home app
Note: This option is only available if you still have access to the network your Chromecast was set up on.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap your Chromecast device Settings .
- At the top right, tap More Factory reset Factory reset.