Use the Google Assistant on your TV
Get your current weather and forecast and browse YouTube on your TV with your Google Assistant and Chromecast.
This feature is available in the U.S.
What you need
- Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra running cast version 1.28+. Here's how to check your firmware version.
- Google Home, Google Home Mini, or Google Home Max
- Chromecast (1st Gen)
- Android TVs
- Chromecast built-in TVs
Step 1. Set up your Chromecast and Google Home devices
Important: Your Chromecast and Google Home devices must be set up on the same Wi-Fi network.
Step 2. Link your Chromecast and Google Home devices
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top left corner of the Home screen, tap Menu .
- Verify that the Google Account listed is the one linked to Google Home. To switch accounts, click the account name and choose a new account.
- Tap More settings TVs and Speakers . You'll see a list of linked devices.
- To link a new Chromecast device, tap add in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- The Google Home app will search for a Chromecast device on the same Wi-Fi network as Google Home.
- When the device is found, tap the check next to the name.
- Tap Add.
Step 3. Set your preferred TV
We recommend you choose a TV that will always play your video. Then you won't have to include the TV's name in your voice command.
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top right corner of the Home screen, tap Devices to see available Google Home devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the device you want to adjust.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu Settings.
- Under "Device info",
- Tap Default music speaker, to see a list of TVs and speakers linked to your Google Account.
- Tap Default TV to see a list of TVs linked to your Google Account. Tap your preferred TV.
To reset your preferred device, tap Default music speaker or Default TV Reset.
Browse YouTube content on your TV
You can ask your Assistant to show certain content and weather on your TV. Simply click through the suggestions and choose your favorites.
You can search and browse non-personalized YouTube videos based on your request.
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," ...|
|Search/browse YouTube videos on your TV||
"Show me <genre/creator of videos>"
Example: "Show me Trevor Noah videos"
Tip: You must say "Show me" before your request.
To play the request, say "Hey Google, play <title>"
|See what is trending on YouTube on your TV||“Show me what’s on YouTube”
“Show me what's trending on YouTube”
Note: You can only search/browse YouTube videos. You can’t search/browse videos from other providers, like Netflix or HBO.
Get the weather on your TV
You can see current and upcoming weather on your TV for any location.
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then...|
|Ask for the current weather||
"Show me the weather"
Note: This command will provide weather information for your Google Home device address.
|Ask for the weather forecast for:
"Show me the weather for tomorrow"
"Show me the weather for Saturday"
"Show me the weather this weekend"
"Show me the weather for the next 3 days"
|Ask for the current weather in a certain location||“Show me the weather in London”|
Ask for the weather forecast in a certain location for:
Show me the weather in London tomorrow"
"Show me the weather in London on Saturday"
"Show me the weather in London this weekend"
"Show me the weather in London for the next 3 days"
|Specify unit||“Show me the weather in Celsius”|
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.