Ready to start watching content with your Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display and YouTube TV? Learn how to set up and use YouTube TV with your device. This feature is only available in the U.S.
Note: If you haven't already, make sure you've signed up for a YouTube TV membership.
Step 1. Set up Chromecast and your Google Nest or Google Home device
- Set up Chromecast.
- Set up Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Hub, Google Nest Hub Max.
Step 2. Link Chromecast using the Google Home appLink TVs to your speaker or display
Note: The following steps are optional. If you have multiple Chromecast devices and TVs, you can follow these steps to link all your devices and choose a default TV when playing videos from your speaker or display.
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi or linked to the same account as your Chromecast, Nest speaker, or Nest display.
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the top right, tap your account.
- Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- Tap Assistant settings Devices Add...
- The Google Home app will search for remote devices on the same Wi-Fi network as your speaker or display. Note: You may see a list of devices that aren’t voice-supported. These can’t currently be linked to your speaker or display, but they'll be available soon.
- To add a device, tap the check next to the device name. You can select multiple devices. Tap Add.
- You'll see linked remote devices TVs and speakers section of the Google Home app.
Note: If you get an "Error when linking device" error message, you must factory reset your Chromecast device.
Once you've linked your devices, you're ready to begin using voice commands to control YouTube TV.
To use YouTube TV and your speaker or display together, sign in to the same Google Account on YouTube TV and on your device.
If you're part of a YouTube TV family plan or sharing your speaker or display with other YouTube TV members, make sure to sign in to your personal Google Account on your device to use your own YouTube TV library and viewing preferences. Learn more about linking your Google account and your voice to your device.
Common voice commands
Here are some things you can say to your Google Assistant on your device:
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then...|
|Play a live TV channel||"Play MSNBC on YouTube TV"|
Play a TV show
|"Play This Is Us on YouTube TV"
"Play the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy on YouTube TV"
|Play a movie||"Play <movie> on YouTube TV"|
|Play a sports game||"Play the <MLB game> on YouTube TV"
"Play the <sports team> game on YouTube TV"
|Record a show||"Record Empire"|
|Turn off closed captions||"Turn off closed captions"|
|Rewind or fast forward||"Rewind [xx mins yy seconds]"
"Fast forward [xx mins yy seconds]"
Tips and tricks to play content on your TVTroubleshoot voice commands
If your device is having trouble with accuracy, try being more specific.
For example, try saying the entire name of a program, the service (e.g., "...on YouTube TV"), or the name of your device, (e.g., "...on Chromecast").
Control your TV when media is playing on your speaker or display
If you want to stop playing content on your speaker or display, say "Ok Google, stop."