The Google Home app helps you set up and control Google Nest or Home speakers and displays, and Chromecast. You can control thousands of compatible lights, cameras, speakers and more. You can also check your reminders and recent notifications, all from a single app. The Google Home app is available on Android phones and tablets, and iPhones and iPads.
Get the latest version of the Google Home app
Download or update the Google Home app from the Google Play Store.
Ways to use the Google Home app
You can use the Google Home app to:
- Set up the following devices:
- Google Nest and Home devices such as your Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Audio, Google Nest Hub and Google Nest Hub Max.
- Wifi devices such as your Google Nest Wifi, Google Wifi and OnHub.
- Chromecast devices such as your Chromecast with Google TV, Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio and TVs and speakers with Chromecast built in.
- Control, organise and manage compatible lights, cameras, TVs and more, all from just one place. The Google Home app works like a remote with thousands of smart home devices from most popular brands.
- Manage your settings and preferences for linked devices, Google Assistant, your Google Account and more.
From the Home tab, you can control your speakers and displays, Chromecast and other smart devices. You can also set up new devices and check all of your devices organised by rooms in your home.
At the top of the home app screen, the name of your home appears. If you have multiple homes set up, you can tap your home name to switch between homes.
Here, you have general controls over your whole home. Each button acts as a control for a device, service or group of devices. Each has a different function that depends on which device it represents and the state that device is in.
Lights: Switches your smart lights on or off. Controls all the lights in your home or only the lights in a specific room.
Media: Shows media you currently play and which device it plays on. If you have more than one device, you can choose to stream from one device to another. You can start or stop the media with a single tap.
Call Home: Calls your Home to ring all your devices linked to Duo.
Broadcast a message to your Google Assistant speakers and displays from the Google Home app.
Thermostat: Opens the controls for your thermostat. If you have more than one smart thermostat, you can choose which to control.
Shows the video feed from your camera. If you have more than one camera, you can choose which to view.
Wi-Fi: Runs speed tests and manages your Nest Wifi, Google Wifi or OnHub network and settings.
Routines: Creates and manages routines for your device.
Settings: Opens your Home settings.
Quickly connect smart home devices, link media services, and take other recommended actions.
Devices in your home
Your speakers and displays, Chromecast and other smart home devices are listed by room. To open the controls for a device, touch and hold its device tile. You may find some controls on the device tile itself.
In your home
Devices that are part of your home but aren't currently assigned to any room are listed here. To open the controls for a device, touch and hold its device tile. You can access device settings , including room settings, from the control screen.
Speaker groups on your local Wi-Fi network appear here. To open the controls for a speaker group, tap Media .
Other cast devices
Devices that are connected to your local Wi-Fi network but aren't added to your home can be found here.
From Home , touch and hold your device's tile to control or access all of its settings. Different types of devices have different controls, and some controls may be on the device tile itself.
- Google Nest and Home speakers and displays – Control the speaker's volume and EQ (equalisation) or access settings. You can also play, pause, skip forwards or backwards in a song, podcast or audiobook, or stop casting.
- Chromecast devices – Control the display's volume or access settings. You can also play, pause, skip forward or backward in a video, movie or TV show, or stop casting.
- Lights – Turn your smart lights on and off and adjust their brightness, if supported.
- Thermostat – Adjust your thermostat's set point, change modes and check the ambient temperature. Depending on the thermostat model, you may be able to change other settings.
- Smart plugs – Turn your smart plug on and off.
- Cameras – View the stream from cameras.
- Speaker groups – Access the group's settings.
The Feed tab is where you can get alerts about important device activities and reminders.
On the top-right corner of the Home app, select your account to access the following settings:
Add another account – (To find, tap the down arrow next to your account.) Set up devices and services, add household members and create speaker groups and homes.
Manage accounts on this device – (To find, tap the down arrow next to your account.) Add or remove accounts.
Home app settings – Manage your General, privacy and legal, and app settings.
- Email notifications – Manage your email notifications.
- Clear saved Wi-Fi networks – Clear all saved Wi-Fi networks.
- Clear app locations – Remove your saved locations.
- Partner connections – Choose which data that you share with Google Nest partners
- Customer support code – Code to share with customer support to troubleshoot.
- Search and watch history – Manage your search and watch history.
- Google Nest privacy FAQs – Learn about privacy FAQs.
- Supplemental Nest Terms of Service.
- Open-source licences.
- App info – Check the app version.
- Google app settings – Check your Google app settings.
- Rate the app in the Google Play Store.
Assistant settings – Manage your Google Assistant settings, services and linked devices.
My Activity – check and manage your Google Assistant activity.
Help – Access the Chromecast and Google Nest Help Centres. Get answers to questions and troubleshooting information.
Feedback – Submit a feedback report for your speakers and displays, Chromecast and Chromecast Built-In devices.
- Home information – Manage your home nickname and address.
- Household – Manage home members.
- Rooms and groups – Check your existing rooms and devices.
- Privacy settings– Review and adjust your data usage settings, privacy controls on your household settings and more.
- Notifications – choose which app notifications you want to receive.
- Digital Wellbeing – Manage your Digital Wellbeing settings.
- Nest Wifi – Manage your Nest Wifi, Google Wifi or OnHub network name, password and settings.
- Google Assistant – Manage your Google Assistant settings.
- Presence sensing – Manage how your device can be used to help detect whether someone's at home or away.
- Nest Aware – Manage subscription and features (migrated accounts only).
- Video – Set your preferred photo and video providers.
- Music – Choose from popular music providers.
- Radio – Link your radio services.
- Live TV – Link live TV services.
- Podcasts – Choose your preferred podcast service.
- Communication – Check and manage your calling preferences.
- Notes and lists – Check and manage your notes and lists.
- Works with Google – link and manage your works with Google services.