The Google Home app helps you set up and control Google Nest or Home speakers and displays, and Chromecast. You can control thousands of compatible lights, cameras, speakers, and more, as well as check your reminders and recent notifications, all from a single app.
Get the latest version of the Google Home app
Download or update the Google Home app from the Google Play Store.
Ways to use the Google Home app
You can use the Google Home app to:
- Set up Google Nest and Home devices (Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Audio, Google Nest Hub, Google Nest Hub Max), Wifi devices (Google Nest Wifi, Google Wifi, OnHub), and Chromecast devices (Chromecast with Google TV, Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, and TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in).
- Control, organize and manage compatible lights, cameras, TVs, and more, all from just one place. The Google Home app works like a remote with thousands of smart home devices from most popular brands.
- Manage your Google Assistant settings and preferences.
- Manage Device settings.
From Home you can control your speakers and displays, Chromecast, and other smart devices. This is also where you can set up new devices, and check all of your devices organized by rooms in your home.
You’ll find the name of your home at the top of the screen. If you have multiple homes set up, you can tap your home name to switch between homes.
Here, you have general controls over your whole home. Each button acts as a control for a device, service or group of devices, and services. Each has a different function that depends on which device it represents, and the state that device is in.
Lights: Switch your smart lights on or off. Control all the lights in your home, or only the lights in a specific room.
Media: Shows media you currently have playing and which device it’s playing on. If you have more than one device, you can choose to stream from one device to another.
Call Home: Call your Home to ring all your devices linked to Duo.
Broadcast: Broadcast a message to your Google Assistant speakers and displays from the Google Home app.
Thermostat: Opens the controls for your thermostat. If you have more than one smart thermostat, you can choose which one to control.
Cameras: Shows the video feed from your camera. If you have more than one camera, you will see them in a single view.
Wi-Fi: Run speed tests and manage your Nest Wifi, Google Wifi, or OnHub network and settings.
Routines: Create and manage routines for your device.
Settings: Opens your Home settings.
Action chips: Quickly connect smart home devices, link media services, and take other recommended actions.
Devices in your home
Your speakers and displays, Chromecast, and other smart home devices are listed by room. Tap on a device to open the controls for that device.
In your home
Devices that are part of your home, but aren't currently assigned to any room will be listed here. Tap on a device to open the controls for that device. You'll also be able to assign them to a room.
Speaker groups on your local Wi-Fi network will appear here. Tap on a group to open the controls for the speaker group.
Other Cast devices
Devices that are connected to your local Wi-Fi network, but aren’t added to your home can be found here.
From Home , tap on a device to control or access its settings. Different types of devices will have different controls.
- Google Nest and Home speakers and displays - Control the speaker’s volume and EQ (equalization), or access settings. You can also play, pause, skip forward or backward in a song, podcast or audiobook, or stop casting.
- Chromecast devices - Control the display’s volume, or access settings. You can also play, pause, skip forward or backward in a video, movie or TV show, or stop casting.
- Lights - Turn your smart lights on and off and adjust their brightness (if supported).
- Thermostat - Adjust your thermostat’s set point, change modes, and check the ambient temperature.
- Smart plugs - Turn your smart plug on and off.
- Cameras - View the stream from cameras.
- Speaker Groups - Access the group’s settings.
The Feed tab is where you can get alerts about important device activities and reminders.
- Priority events – Check highlights from the last 30 days.
- Recent events – Get an overview of the last 10 events from your home.
- Discover – Learn about new features, supported queries, Chromecast-enabled apps, and offers available for your devices.
Select your photo on the upper right corner of your Google Home app to access the following settings:
Add another account – Set up devices and services, add household members, and create speaker groups and homes.
Manage accounts on this device – Add or remove accounts.
Home app settings – Manage your General, Privacy & legal, and app settings.
- Email notifications - Manage your email notifications.
- Clear saved Wi-Fi networks - Clear all saved Wi-Fi networks.
- Clear app locations - Remove your saved locations.
- Partner Connections - Choose which data you share with Google Nest partners.
- Customer support code - Code to share with customer support for troubleshooting.
- Search and watch history - Manage your search and watch history.
- Google Nest privacy FAQs - Read privacy FAQs.
- Supplemental Nest Terms of Service.
- Open Source licenses.
- App info - View the app version.
- Google app settings - View your Google app settings.
- Rate the app - Rate the app in the Google Play store.
Assistant settings – Manage your Google Assistant settings, services, and linked devices.
My Activity – Check and manage your Google Assistant activity.
Help – Access the Chromecast and Google Nest Help Centers. Get answers to questions and find troubleshooting information.
Feedback – Submit a feedback report for your speakers and displays, Chromecast, and Chromecast built-in devices.
- Home information – Manage your home nickname and address.
- Household – Manage home members.
- Rooms and devices – View your existing rooms and devices.
- Notifications – Choose which app notifications you want to receive.
- Digital Wellbeing – Manage your Digital Wellbeing settings.
- Routines – Create and manage routines for your device.
- Nest Wifi – Manage your Nest Wifi, Google Wifi, or OnHub network name, password, and settings.
- Nest Aware – Manage subscription and features (migrated accounts only).
- Video – Set your preferred photo and video providers.
- Music – Choose from popular music providers.
- Podcasts – Choose your preferred podcast service.
- Live TV – Link Live TV services.
- Voice and video calls – View and manage your calling preferences.
- Notes and lists – View and manage your notes and lists.
- Works with Google – Link and manage your Works with Google services.