Meet the Google Home app
The Google Home app helps you set up and control Chromecast (Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, TV or speaker with Chromecast built-in), Google Home devices, and Google Assistant speakers or Smart Displays. You can control thousands of compatible lights, cameras, speakers and more, all from a single app. Plus, you can discover popular music, TV shows and videos to cast to your TVs and speakers.
Get the new Google Home app
Ways to use the Google Home app
You can use the Google Home app to:
- Set up Google Home devices (Google Home, Google Home Mini, Google Home Max, Google Home Hub) and Chromecast devices (Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, and TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in).
- Control, organize and manage compatible lights, cameras, TVs and more, all from just one place. The Google Home app works like a remote with thousands of smart home devices from most popular brands.
- Manage your Google Assistant settings and preferences.
- Manage device settings.
- Browse TV shows, music, and movies.
The Home tab is where you can control your Google Home, Chromecast and other smart devices. This is also where you can set up new devices, and see all of your devices organized by rooms in your home.
At the top of the screen you’ll see the name of your home. If you have multiple homes set up, you can tap your home name to switch between homes.
Here you have general controls over your whole home. Each button acts as a control for a device, service or a group of devices and services. Each has a different function depending on what device it represents and what state that device is in.
Lights off: Turn off by room or all smart lights that are in this home.
Lights on: Turn on by room or all smart lights that are in this home.
Play: Tap to see a list of all devices you can cast to. Tap on a device to play music.
Broadcast: Broadcast a message to your Google Assistant speakers and Smart Displays from the Google Home app.
Thermostat: Opens the controls for your thermostat. If you have more than one smart thermostat, you can choose which one to control.
Camera: Shows the video feed from your camera. If you have more than one camera, you can choose which one to view.
Add: Set up devices and services, add home members, and create speaker groups and homes.
Settings: Opens your home settings.
Devices in your home
Your Google Home devices, Chromecast devices, and other smart home devices are listed by room. Tap on a device to open the controls for that device.
In your home
Devices that are part of your home, but are not currently assigned to any room will be listed here. Tap on a device to open the controls for that device. You will also be able to assign them to a room.
Speaker groups on the local Wi-Fi network will appear here. Tap on a group to open the controls for the speaker group.
Other cast devices
Devices that are connected to your local Wi-Fi network, but aren’t added to your home can be found here.
From the Home tap on a device to access the device controls. You can control your device or access its settings. Different devices can have different controls.
- Google Home devices and speakers - Control the speaker’s volume and EQ, or access settings. You can also play, pause, skip forward or backward in a song, podcast or audiobook, or stop casting.
- Chromecast devices and displays - Control the display’s volume, or access settings. You can also play, pause, skip forward or backward in a video, movie or TV show or stop casting.
- Lights - Turn your smart lights on and off and adjust their brightness (if supported).
- Thermostat - Adjust your thermostat’s set point, change modes, and see the ambient temperature.
- Smart Plugs - Turn your smart plug on and off.
- Cameras - View the stream from cameras.
- Speaker Groups - Control the volume and EQ of all devices in the speaker group, or access the group’s settings. You can also play, pause, skip forward or backward in a song, podcast or audiobook, or stop casting.
The Discover tab is where you can learn about new features, queries, Chromecast-enabled apps and offers for your devices. You can also see what's playing on your devices.
- Now playing cards – Shows the content that you're currently casting. Tap the card to adjust the volume, pause and stop the cast session.
- Assist card feed – Tips and tricks to help you make the most of your devices. Note: All cards can be dismissed by tapping menu > Dismiss
- Setup – Shows a nearby device that's ready to be set up.
- Voice query – Shows the query that you've asked your Google Assistant.
- Backdrop – Shows images and content that are specifically curated for the home. Here's more about Backdrop for Chromecast.
- Offers – Shows redeemable offers from content partners.
The Browse tab is where you can:
- Browse to find TV shows, films, videos and curated lists of albums and playlists personalized by popular apps, such as Google Play Music, and YouTube Music.
- See which compatible media apps you already have on your phone or tablet, and discover new apps to download.
- Browse popular TV shows and TV shows from your linked services (like Netflix).
- Browse popular films and films from your linked services (like Netflix).
- Browse popular and recommended playlists, stations and artists from your linked music services (like YouTube Music, Pandora and Spotify)
From the account tab you can access your general settings, account preferences, and additional controls for your devices.
Home - Tap to switch homes.
Setup or Add - Set up devices and services, add household members, and create speaker groups and homes.
Local devices - Manage local devices and create speaker groups. Your mobile device must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Settings - Open your Settings.
Account preferences - Open your Account Preferences.
My Activity - Manage your assistant activity.
Mirror device - Cast your Android device’s screen and audio to your TV, speaker or Chromecast device.
Offers - See promotions and offeres for services and products that work with your Google Home and Chromecast devices.
Google Store - Shop for Google smart home devices such as Chromecast, Google Home and the Nest line of products.
App info - Shows the version number of your Google Home app.
Help - Access the Chromecast and Google Home Help Centers. Get answers to questions and find troubleshooting information.
Feedback - Submit a feedback report for your Google Home, Chromecast, and Chromecast Built-In devices.
Open Source licenses - Read open source licenses
- Nickname - Set a nickname for yourself.
- Getting around - Set your home and work locations.
- Payments - Manage your payment methods.
- Weather - Set your weather temperature units to F or C.
- My Activity - Manage your account activity
- Account controls - Manage Google Activity controls
- Languages - Set up to 2 languages for Google Home
- Assistant voice - Choose the voice of your assistant.
- Continued conversations- Turn Continued Conversations on or off
- Voice match - Teach your google assistant to recognize your voice.
- Assistant devices - You’ll see a list of devices that are linked to your assistant. Tap on a device to change the device settings.
- Linked third party accounts - Add or remove third party services that you’ve linked to your Google Home.
- Calls on Device - Choose the phone number you want to use when making calls with Google Home. You can use your carrier phone number, Google Voice number or Project Fi number.
- Lists & Notes - View and manage your shopping lists and notes.
- Music - Choose from popular music providers.
- Videos and photos - Set your preferred photo and video providers.
- Calendar - Manage which calendar(s) your are linked to your Google Assistant.
- Stocks - Manage your stocks
- Your home - Manage your home nickname and address.
- Home members - Manage the members of your home.
- Digital Wellbeing - Manage your filters and Downtime.
- Add… - Add new devices, speaker groups and more.
- You’ll also see a list of devices in each room of your home. Tap a device to open it’s settings.
- Linked devices - View and manage your linked devices.
- Email Notifications - Manage your email notifications.
- Search and Watch History - Manage your search and watch history.
- Clear Wi-Fi history - Clear all saved Wi-Fi networks.
- Clear saved location - Remove your saved locations.
- Rate the app - Rate the app in the Google Play store or Apple App Store.