How to create an audio group
Multi-room playback allows you to cast the same music to several speakers at the same time. You can use this feature to enjoy your music all around your home. Once you’ve created your group, your favorite music and audio from Chromecast-enabled apps are instantly available to cast.
Create an audio group
- From your iPhone or Android device, open the Google Home app .
- In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices to see your available Chromecast Audio or speaker with Chromecast built-in.
- In the top right corner of the Chromecast Audio or speaker with Chromecast built-in you'd like to set up in a group, tap the device card menu > Create Group.
- The default name of the group is "Home group". To rename the group, erase the name and type in something new.
- You will now see a list of all available speakers, including Google Home, if available.
- To add or remove a speaker from the group, tap the box next to its name. A check will appear in the box next to the speaker’s name to indicate whether it will be associated with the group. Note: At least two speakers must be selected to create a group.
- Tap Save.
- After the speakers have been successfully added to the group, you will see the group device card within Devices . Note: It may take up to 5-10 seconds for the group device card to appear in the Google Home app. Tap Speakers in Group to see which speakers are associated with the group.
- If the changes were not successful,
- If none of the speakers were added to the group, you will see this error message: Can’t create “XX” group. Devices aren’t responding. This article may help troubleshoot the issue.
- If at least one speaker was successfully added but not all, you will see this error message: “XX” group created, but some devices were unsuccessful. This article may help troubleshoot the issue.
Here's more on how to edit or delete an audio group.
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.