Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast Audio: Quick Start Guide
The Chromecast team is aware of an issue that is preventing some users from setting up their new Chromecast or Chromecast Audio devices using the Ethernet Adapter. Please follow these workaround steps to set up successfully.
If you wish to connect Chromecast Audio without using Wi-Fi, the Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast Audio lets you connect your Chromecast Audio directly to your router through your wired Ethernet connection.To set up the Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast Audio, you'll need:
- A Chromecast Audio device and an available speaker system with a standard 3.5 mm input, RCA input, or optical digital input
- An Android or iOS device
- An Ethernet cable connected to a working internet router
- A standard household outlet or other source of AC power
- The Ethernet Adapter
- Plug the audio cable into your Chromecast Audio. Plug the other end of the audio cable into any open standard 3.5 mm port. Note: You can also use speaker systems with RCA inputs and optical digital inputs, but required cables are sold separately.
- Plug the Ethernet Adapter’s cable-end into your Chromecast Audio device’s micro-USB port. Note: The Ethernet Adapter provides both power and internet connectivity to your Chromecast Audio device.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet Adapter. Note: Please be sure that the other end of your Ethernet cable is connected to a functioning router that has internet connectivity. The Ethernet Adapter won't provide internet access to your Chromecast Audio unless it is connected to a working router with internet access.
- Plug the Ethernet Adapter into the AC power source near the display to which you plan to connect your Chromecast Audio. Note: The length of the power cord for the Ethernet Adapter is 78 inches (6.5 feet or 1.98 meters) so you'll need to be sure the power source is within that distance to your Chromecast Audio.
- Open the Chromecast app from the device you wish to set up your Chromecast Audio with and follow the setup instructions. Important: When setting up Chromecast Audio using an Ethernet Adapter, you can only use an Android or iOS device. You aren't currently able to set up your Chromecast Audio using the Chromecast app on Windows (either using WiFi or hardwired).
- For more information or to purchase an Ethernet Adapter, please visit our Ethernet Adapter page.
Having trouble casting content using your Ethernet Adapter? First let's make sure your Chromecast Audio is working correctly. If one step doesn't fix the issue, try the next one.
- Reboot your Chromecast Audio by unplugging it from the power source. Leave it unplugged for ~1 minute before plugging the power cord back in.
- Reboot your router by unplugging it from the power source. Leave it unplugged for ~1 minute before plugging the power cord back in.
- Make sure your mobile device or laptop is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Chromecast Audio.
- Try casting using another device or laptop.
- Close and reopen the app you’re trying to cast from.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet Adapter (see Step 2 in the image above). Leave it unplugged for ~1 minute before plugging it back in.
- Make sure the Ethernet cable is plugged into an available LAN port on your Wi-Fi router.
- Make sure all connections points are plugged in securely.
- The Ethernet Adapter is designed for use only with Chromecast Audio devices. Use with other devices may damage the device, your router, and/or your Ethernet Adapter.
- The Ethernet Adapter may get warm; this is normal. If it gets hot, disconnect the Ethernet Adapter’s cable-end from your Chromecast Audio and let the Ethernet Adapter cool before unplugging the Ethernet Adapter from the wall or resuming operation.
- Don't expose the Ethernet Adapter to water or extreme conditions (moisture, heat, cold, dust), as it may malfunction or cease to work when exposed to such elements.
- Don't try to disassemble or repair your Ethernet Adapter yourself. Doing so voids the limited warranty and could harm you, your display, your router, your Ethernet Adapter, and/or your Chromecast Audio.
- Your Ethernet Adapter is not designed, manufactured or intended for use in hazardous environments requiring fail-safe performance in which the failure of the Ethernet Adapter could lead directly to death, personal injury, or severe physical or environmental damage.
- Take care when handling the Ethernet Adapter to avoid electric shock.