Updates to your Chromecast
To enjoy the latest and greatest features available on Chromecast, your device may need to update to the most recent software version. This is done automatically as part of setup so there's nothing you need to do to receive the update.
Note: During the update, Chromecast will not be available to cast. Please wait until the update is complete to try to cast.
Here's an overview of what you should expect during the update:
- Your Google Home app will provide indication of the setup progress.
- You can check the status of your update on the TV.
- You can use the LED on the side of the Chromecast to verify it is still receiving the update.
- The update typically takes up to 10 minutes. If the update is taking much longer than expected, please check if the device is still updating by checking the LED status. It will be pulsing red while receiving the update.
- If needed, rebooting the Chromecast by unplugging it from the power source, waiting one minute, and plugging it back in will automatically restart the update.
If the issue persists, Factory Data Reset (FDR) the device and try to set it up again, preferably on a 2.4GHz network, if available.