Chromecast guest mode
Set up guest mode
Hosting a social gathering? Guest mode makes it easier for your friends to cast their favorite media to your Chromecast from an Android or iOS device without connecting to your Wi-Fi network.
A few thing about using guest mode with Chromecast:
- As the host, you can keep your password private! Guests can cast from their Android or iOS device as long as they are in the same room as the Chromecast.
- After you have set up Guest mode on your Chromecast, guests will see the cast icon in Google Cast-enabled apps on their Android device, even if Wi-Fi is turned off.
- You can also enable guest mode during set up of your Chromecast device. You can unclick this box if you don't want to turn guest mode on at this time.
To manage guest mode on your Android or iOS device, first open the Google Cast app, then:1. Tap Devices. Tap the device card menu of the Chromecast you'd like to adjust.
2. Tap Guest mode.
3. Slide guest mode to On of Off.
Check out this video if you need a little more guidance.
Using Chromecast as a guest:1. While not connected to Wi-Fi, open any Cast-enabled app and tap the Cast icon.
2. Select Nearby device and follow the prompts to connect.
3. If audio pairing fails,enter the 4-digit PIN on the TV.
Hosts of guests and and guests using guest mode can:
- set up (i.e. turn on or off) guest mode on any mobile device that supports the Google Cast app
The guest using guest mode can:
- on Android:
- cast content using Android 4.3+ on Chromecast (1st gen), Chromecast, and Chromecast Audio devices
- on iOS
- cast content using iOS8+ only on Chromecast and Chromecast Audio devices. Chromecast (1st gen) devices are not supported
- Bluetooth must be turned on in order to cast content using Guest mode
Guest mode is an opt-in feature that you can choose to turn off any time from the Chromecast device settings. You can access and manage (turn on or off) guest mode from the Google Cast app on your Android device and iOS device.
You need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast in order to set up or manage Guest mode settings.
Guest mode settings will be reset when you perform a Factory Data Reset (FDR) on your Chromecast.
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.