Issues with BT Broadband?
If you’re a BT Broadband customer with a HomeHub 3, HomeHub 4 or HomeHub 5 router, you may experience some errors when trying to use your Chromecast device. These errors occur because of the Smart Setup enabled on these routers for BT broadband customers.
Here are some errors you may see:
- Chromecast Setup: Unable to connect to Chromecast
- Netflix: Some images may be missing
- Google Music: Stuck at “Ready to Listen” page; no audio plays
- BBC iPlayer:
- TV says “Ready to Cast," but no video plays
- Error message: "Not currently casting"
- Android device error message: "An error has occurred - please try again"
- iOS device error message: "Casting to living room" and/or "An error has occurred - please try again"
- Other apps may also crash or produce errors
You can continue to use Chromecast by disabling the Smart Setup feature. You can learn more about switching Smart Setup on or off or follow the steps below:
- In a browser window, navigate to http://bthomehub.home.
- Click Advanced Settings
- Enter your password (this can usually be found on the bottom of the HomeHub router).
- On the next page, you'll see a prompt explaining that changing the settings is not needed for general use. Click Continue to Advanced Settings.
- Select “Home Network”
- Select "Smart setup."
- When you see "Enable smart setup," select No. (If it currently says "Yes," make sure to change it to "No".)
- Click Apply to save your changes.
Once you’ve completed these steps, try casting to your Chromecast again and it should work as intended.
If you continue to experience an issue, please review the Chromecast FAQ or contact BT:
- From a landline: 0800 111 4567
- From a mobile: 0330 123 4567*
- From abroad: +44 179 359 6931**