Google Play Movies & TV app
Chromecast requires Google Play Movies & TV app version 2.6.9 or higher on Android and version 1.0.1 on iOS. To update to the latest version, please visit Google Play or the Apple App Store.
Using Chromecast, you can cast movies & TV shows from the Google Play Movies & TV app from your phone, tablet or computer to your TV.
To cast from the Google Play Movies & TV app to your TV using your phone or tablet
- Connect your device and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Open the Google Play Movies & TV app.
- Select My Movies or My TV shows.
- Choose a movie or show.
- Tap the Cast icon.
- Select your Chromecast from the device list.
- Tap Play on the Google Play Movies & TV app.
To cast from the Google Play Movies & TV app to your TV using your computer
If you haven't already, you'll need to download and use Google Chrome to cast movies using your computer.
- Open Chrome.
- Download and install the Google Cast extension from the Chrome Web Store (one time only).
- Connect your computer and Chromecast to the same wireless network.
- Go to Google Play Movies (play.google.com/movies) using Chrome.
- Click My Movies or My TV shows.
- Choose a movie or show.
- Click Play.
- Click the Cast icon near the top right corner of the video player.
- Under 'Connect to a device', select your Chromecast from the device list.
You may continue to use your phone or tablet to perform other tasks while your video is playing. To control your video, select the Cast button from the notification bar at the top of your device. All video functions, such as Play, Pause, Rewind, etc, can be controlled from your phone or tablet as they normally would. To disconnect your device from your Chromecast, select the Cast button and select your phone or tablet.
- Video quality may appear poor for the first few minutes. This is expected and will improve as you watch.
- You may cast movies and TV shows from the Play Movies & TV app that you have rented or purchased from Google Play. At this time, you cannot cast rentals that have been downloaded to your device.
- If you’re using the Google Play Movies & TV app for the first time, please visit this page to learn more about using the app on your device. To get started, visit the Google Play on your device to rent or buy videos.
Here are some additional resources about the Google Play Movies and TV app that you may find useful:
- Supported devices
- Adding a Google account to your device
- Accepted payment methods
- Cancel purchases
- Refunds and other payment issues
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.