The Google Home app takes you through the steps for Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra setup.
If you've already set up your Chromecast on a mobile device, you don't need to set it up again on a different mobile device if all devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
What you need to get started
- A Chromecast device (3rd gen or older)
- A Google Account
- A display device with an HDMI input, such as a high-definition television (HDTV)
- An Android phone or tablet with Android 9.0 or later that supports a 5-GHz connection
- Access to a secure wireless network, with the password available
Important: Availability and performance of certain features, services and applications are device- and network-dependent and might not be available in all areas. Subscription(s) may be required, and additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply.
Set up Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra
- Plug in your Chromecast.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap Devices Add New device .
- Follow the steps.
- Setup is successful. You've finished!
If setup didn’t work, try the following steps:
- Reboot your Chromecast.
- Unplug your router, then plug it back in.
- Connect manually to your Chromecast's service set identifier (SSID).
- Open your phone's Settings app tap Wi-Fi connect to the Chromecast SSID.
- Open the Google Home app and try to set up your device again.
- Factory reset your Chromecast.
- Contact support.
Support for Chromecast (1st gen) has ended, which means these devices no longer receive software or security updates, and Google doesn't provide technical support for them. Users might notice a degradation in performance.