Cast from Apps to your TV
YouTube app & YouTube.com
Chromecast requires YouTube app version 4.5.17 or higher on Android or version 1.4 or higher on iOS. To update to the latest version, please visit Google Play or the Apple App Store.
Watching your favorite YouTube videos on your TV has never been easier. To cast from YouTube to your TV:
- Find a video you want to watch and press the the Cast button. On the YouTube app, the Cast button will be in the top right-hand corner. From youtube.com on your laptop, it is in the bottom right of the player.
- Select your Chromecast from the dropdown menu and wait for your video to start playing on your TV.
Note: The Cast button in the youtube.com player on your laptop functions differently than the Google Cast extension on your Chrome Browser. See Optimized Playback vs. Casting a Tab to learn more.
You may continue to use your phone or tablet to perform other tasks while your video is playing. To play, pause, or navigate with the scrollbar, use your device as you normally would to control playback. If you want to 'cast' the video back to your phone and tablet, simply press the 'Cast' button once more, and select your phone or tablet from the list of available devices.
Playing multiple videos back-to-back
While watching a video, you can add more videos to your TV queue by selecting Add to TV queue on your mobile device. To see your TV queue, click YouTube logo which functions as a back button until you see TV queue. Any device that is connected to your Wi-Fi network can cast videos and add to the TV queue. Start sharing!
- Some videos may not play using Chromecast. Private videos, live content, and videos not approved for mobile playback will not work with Chromecast.
- Because YouTube uses adaptive bitrate streaming, videos may appear lower quality at first, then will switch to the highest possible quality after a few seconds. If the video does not buffer at playback speed, the video will be downgraded to a lower quality setting, allowing for smoother playback.
- Casting from YouTube is supported from the YouTube app, YouTube.com, and most embedded YouTube videos.
If you're having trouble, please try our Chromecast Troubleshooting tips here.