Set up the Chromecast remote’s volume, power and input buttons
You can configure your Chromecast Voice Remote to control devices like your TV, receiver or soundbar by setting up the volume, power and input buttons. If you didn’t configure these buttons when you first set up your Chromecast with Google TV, you can set them up later in Chromecast settings.
- To start setup, turn on your Chromecast at the top right of your TV screen, select your profile Settings .
- Select Remotes & Accessories Set up remote buttons. You’ll now be on the remote buttons setup screen.
- If you haven’t added a device yet, you’ll need to add one before continuing. Select Add a device your device type your device brand.
- From the remote buttons setup screen, select Volume the device you want to play sound. The screen will show “You’ll hear music next.”
- Make sure your device’s sound is on select Next.
- When you hear the music, point your Chromecast remote at the device and toggle the volume up and down.
- In the section “Do the volume buttons work?” select Yes or No, try again.
- You must point your remote at the device for the volume buttons to work.
- The remote won’t be able to control the volume on some device models.
- From the remote control setup screen, select Power the device you want to turn on and off with the remote.
- Turn off your device by pressing the power button on the remote wait 8 seconds turn the device back on.
- In the section “Did the power button work?” select Yes or No, try again.
- The remote won’t be able to control the power on some device models.
- From the remote control setup screen, select Input.
- On your remote, press the Input button switch through all your TV inputs.
- If the input button works, be sure to switch back to the HDMI port your Chromecast is connected to.
- In the section “Did the input button work?” select Yes or No, try again.
- The remote won’t be able to control the input on some device models.
Control volume with voice, phone, or smart display screen
You can set up your Chromecast Voice Remote to control the volume on your Chromecast instead of on your TV, receiver, or soundbar. If you choose this option, you can control the volume in the following ways:
- Voice control on a speaker or smart display
- A phone or tablet with the Google Assistant or Google Home app
- Touchscreen control on a smart display
- The Voice Remote volume button
Important: You might experience unexpected results because of a disparity between the Chromecast volume settings and the volume settings on your TV, receiver or soundbar. For example, if you mute your TV with the remote that came with it and then try to change the volume with your voice, your TV will stay muted.
- To start setup, at the top right of your TV screen, select your profile Settings .
- Select Remotes & Accessories Set up remote buttons Volume control Chromecast Volume.
Troubleshoot problems with volume, power and input
Always point your remote directly at the device you want to control.
Notification: “Chromecast is at max volume. Try using a different remote to increase the volume.”
If you’ve enabled Chromecast volume control, you might get this message if your Chromecast has reached its maximum volume. In this case, you might still be able to increase the volume directly on your TV, receiver or soundbar by using the remote that came with the device.
Notification: “Use a remote to adjust the volume. See Chromecast settings on this TV for more options.”
If you’ve set up your Chromecast remote Volume button to directly control volume on your TV, receiver or soundbar, you might get this message if you try to control the volume with your voice or a touchscreen. You’ll need to use either the Chromecast remote or the remote that came with your device.