You can use TalkBack for greater accessibility while setting up your Chromecast with Google TV. TalkBack will tell you what’s on your TV screen.
Learn more about TalkBack.
What you need
- A Chromecast with Google TV and remote
- The power supply cable that came with your Chromecast
- 2 AAA batteries
- A display device with an HDMI input, such as a high-definition television (HDTV)
- A Google Account
- A secure internet connection
- If you use a wireless network, make sure you have the wireless network password handy.
- You can also use an Ethernet connection.
Set up your Chromecast and remote
Step 1. Power up your devices
- Power on your TV.
- Plug your Chromecast into an HDMI port on your TV or other display device.
- Plug one end of the power supply cable into your Chromecast and the other into an available outlet near your TV.
- You can also connect your Chromecast to an Ethernet network.
- Check that your TV is tuned to the same HDMI port that Chromecast is plugged into.
- For instructions, check with your TV manufacturer.
- Ensure the volume on your TV is loud enough to get it clearly.
- Put the AAA batteries into the remote, if you haven’t already done so. Note: You’ll need to insert both batteries with the positive battery terminal aligned with the middle of the remote.
- In most cases, your remote will pair automatically with Chromecast and you'll get the “Pairing success” chime.
- Navigate to and play the linked YouTube video to get a sample of the “Pairing success” chime.
Step 2. Activate TalkBack on your Chromecast
- To activate TalkBack, press and hold the back button and the down button of the D-pad for 3 seconds.
- When Chromecast tells you, release and then press and hold the back button and D-pad down button for 3 seconds again. Chromecast will confirm that TalkBack is on.
- If instead you get a repeating chime and TalkBack does not turn on, use the Troubleshooting section below to identify the error and how to resolve it.
Step 3. Use TalkBack to complete Chromecast setup
Your Chromecast will now take you through the rest of the setup steps.
- TalkBack will automatically read the title, subtitles, and main buttons of each new page on your TV. It will also read any text you select.
- To navigate your TV screen, use the D-pad ring.
- To select, press the D-pad center.
Troubleshoot error chimes
You might get one of these chimes before you set up TalkBack:
- “Power insufficient” chime link. Navigate to and play the linked YouTube video to get a sample of the “Power insufficient” chime. This chime means that your Chromecast is plugged into an insufficient power source. Check that the power cord is plugged in with the power cable and adapter that came with Chromecast. Then check that the HDMI cable is plugged into a working HDMI port on your TV.
- “Restart needed” chime link. Navigate to and play the linked YouTube video to get a sample of the “Restart needed” chime. This chime means that your Chromecast wasn’t able to find your remote soon enough on Bluetooth. Restart your Chromecast by unplugging it from the outlet. Then wait at least 3 seconds and plug it back in again.
- “Start remote pairing” chime link. Navigate to and play the linked YouTube video to get a sample of the “Start remote pairing” chime. This chime means that your remote didn’t pair automatically, and you’ll need to pair it manually. On your remote, press and hold the back and home buttons at the same time until you get the “Pairing success” chime.
- The back button is in the left column of buttons. It's at the top of the column, just under the D-pad.
- The home button is in the left column of buttons. It's the second button, just under the back button.
Text description of Chromecast Voice Remote
Hold the remote with the large circular button toward your TV and the smooth end toward yourself. The smooth end is the bottom and the end with the button is the top.
Top of the remote
Directional pad (D-pad): This is the large, circular button. It can be pressed up, down, left and right.
D-pad center: This is the button in the center of the D-pad circle.
Right side of the remote
Volume button: This is a long button near the top. The forward half is volume up. The rear half is volume down.
Left column buttons
There are 4 buttons aligned on the left column of the remote, with the D-pad on top.
- Back: This is the top button.
- Home: This is the second button.
- YouTube: This is the third button.
- Power: This is the small button at the bottom.
Right column buttons
There are 4 buttons aligned on the right column of the remote, with the D-pad on top.
- Google Assistant: This is the top button.
- Mute: This is the second button.
- Netflix: This is the third button.
- Input: This is the small button at the bottom.