/chromebook/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
This post is a trending issue.
Chromebook sign in not working
When I open my chromebook I try to log in but it tells me the password is invalid or unrecognised, even though the same p/w allows me to open my gmail okay when I go on as a 'guest'. I've tried changing the password  once inside my gmail but the chromebook still doesn't accept it.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (195)
Relevant Answer
Oh no, that's terrible. Most of my files are not backed up and if I can't access my chromebook I can't access my files! What happens now?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Paul,

Well, there are two options. A Powerwash or wait for an update that fixes this. 

- Mike
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Mike,
Add me to the list of Chromebook users who cannot sign in as themselves with their google account password because the password cannot be verified.   Please send a response to my gmail account, which I can read as a guest on my own computer!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What is a Powerwash and how do you do it?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am also having this issue but don’t want to lose my files if I powerwash. Glad to know it isn’t just me and there seems to be a lot of others having the same problem.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also cannot get into my account other than as a guest!  Can't even get in to powerwash. Totally locked out!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I haven't been able to either since the last update.  Who is testing these updates that they didn't check to see if people could log in afterwards?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Marina Davis, to powerwash hold down shift+ctrl+alt and hit the r key
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having this same issue with my chromebook... I try to log in but it tells me the password is invalid or unrecognised (and this happens with all user accounts registered in my chromebook), even though I can access normally my google account in every other device.

Please, let me know if there is a solution for this problem!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Rebbecca,

I also can't log into my Chromebook despite being able to log into my Google Accounts as a guest user since 4 August! Please may I have an e-mail notification to my gmail account when your software problem has been resolved.

Jas
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Marina Davis, to powerwash hold down shift+ctrl+alt and hit the r key

just to clarify on mike robinsons post

if you just powered on

dont login to guest or anywhere else

if your logged into guest exit that

the key code combination  to powerwash is used in the login screen immediately
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is their highest priority bug fix and they still have no fix for it after 2 weeks! unbelievable the incompetence of their engineering. I guess fixing login problems is a lot harder then manipulating search results for their liberal political agendas. I bet if we all said we are going to vote for Trump if they don't fix it they would have the fix out in 2 minutes
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here, I don't want to lose my files and I can't get anyone on the phone from google support.  This is a bad deal.  Google, PLEASE FIX your issue and FAST!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
whatever 'fix' caused this should be rolled back immediately, and then properly fixed at your leisure, unless the 'fix' was fixing a serious security issue in which case that should be communicated! Transparency and a quick automatic update now are what are needed not "powerwash or wait" bs
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please send me an email also as I am in the same boat as everyone else. Hopefully you will give this some priority.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Help me too!
I have had to set up another account with an email that I am keen to delete once this is sorted.
My password and user names are not wrong but wont verify so I am unable to access my accounts.
SO reassuring to know it is not just me!
This is sending from the new and spurious email/id that allows me to access a very small part of my data!
I have been trying to sort his since 4pm today.
:-(
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The same has happened to me for the past week. The main difference I notice is that in the right lower settings area there is now a keyboard icon that says US (there wasn't one before).  When I click on it, it gives me other US options, but no way to get rid of it. I am only able to use the guest account, which has my former setup with no keyboard icon.    Right now below my sign in pic there is a triangle symbol with an explanation in the middle and the words "sign in required" - all highlighted in orange. When I try to sign in I get "Sorry, your password could not be verified. Check your keyboard layout and try again", and then it starts the endless spiral with the word "please wait . . .".
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm also having this problem. Extremely frustrating that I can't get to my files and website favorites.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
help me sign on
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
We are both locked out of our Chromebook accounts as of this evening, August 6, 8PM PST. This morning we were both in our accounts. My husband logged in fine with existing password. When that did not work this evening, he changed on his phone in his Google Account. Chrome will not accept. Requires use of the OLD password to access files. But will not accept that password. And my Google Password does not work either. Logged in yesterday morning. Have filed a Feedback Report. This is extremely frustrating. Thank you!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please help I have been locked out for a few days with it saying my password is not verified...is there a helpline please?????
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have been not able to access my chromebook for several days.I have changed my password and it works elsewhere but cannot login to my own chromebook account...please provide a solution ASAP as I see this is not only an issue with my laptop but many!! Is there a helpline to call or somewhere to email as I cannot access the feedback from either!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have had the same problem this week, i keep getting told a powerwash is the only solution 
IT ISN'T i have tried this and lost some of my photo's!
my gmail password is working perfectly 
Sometimes i can log on to my chrome book other times it's telling me my password cannot be verified
I used it all day yesterday but today cannot
Please sort this out
Please add me to your ever growing list of customer complaints 
Please notify my by gmail 
Once Again a power wash does not wok
marked this as an answer
I'm a Mr. Fixit who uses Sherlock Holmes diagnostic techniques.
Relevant Answer
User 3168615086206221071

You must use the Feedback feature if you want this issue fixed!

This forum is run by volunteer users who are not Google employees or contractors. Complaints, feature requests, or bug reports will not be seen by Google unless you use the proper process.

When a problem occurs, immediately open a Feedback form. Provide a detailed description of the problem - including step-by-step directions about how to reproduce the problem. If your problem can't be reproduced, it can't be fixed.

You can get to the feedback form by using ‘Report an issue...’ in the Help section of the Chrome menu (3 vertical dots in the upper right corner of the browser). Or, press the alt+shift+i keyboard shortcut. Another way is to press the power button for 1 second - a menu box will pop up with Feedback as an option.

For more information about how the feedback and bug system works, read this document from the Google development team.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Jim Dantin, Thanks for the clear directions. Already sent feedback once yesterday, but perhaps we all need to send a feedback form every minute until this is fixed. So annoying that google has no response or searches relevant to this major bug at all. The only place to find the slightest mention of it is in the community forum and even then there are no updates or information provided about the cause or when a real fix may be available. If I am forced to powerwash at this point I know I will be going straight to installing a real linux distro. This is becoming a chromeos dealbreaker for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Alas, gave in and powerwashed.  Thanks Donald Stuessy for the clear instructions on "how to".  Have lost everything.  Chromebook now working brilliant again, but did change password on account.
Not ideal, but have learnt the hard way not to have important files in the one place. :)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The same has happened to me for the past week. The main difference I notice is that in the right lower settings area there is now a keyboard icon that says US (there wasn't one before).  When I click on it, it gives me other US options, but no way to get rid of it. I am only able to use the guest account, which has my former setup with no keyboard icon.    Right now below my sign in pic there is a triangle symbol with an explanation in the middle and the words "sign in required" - all highlighted in orange. When I try to sign in I get "Sorry, your password could not be verified. Check your keyboard layout and try again", and then it starts the endless spiral with the word "please wait . . .".   Has anyone else noticed this in their settings?   I posted this in feedback, but how do I find their reply (do they reply?)?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the exact same problem!!  So totally ridiculous.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having same problem only able to log in as a guest for about the last 4 days. Please send an e-mail to my g-mail account when you get it fixed.  Good luck.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
User 9487260763147300237

No one will email you.

You can subscribe to this thread to get emails. See the "Subscribe" button on the first post.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem. Glad I found this forum. Help!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I gave in and powerwashed.   Chromebook now working perfectly, BUT have lost all files.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same problem. My password is working fine but I cannot log into my chromebook
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I did file via Shift-alt-i 3 days ago and then again just now. This is crazy. To be locked out of our own laptops.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
As Chromebook Evangelist and Tech Leader, I'm worried.

@Google community manager:
- Could you please provide an ETA for fix?
- Could you provide regular progress updates on here?
- Google ecosystem is under attack by criminal hackers who have locked out many authorized Chromebook owners.
- Google Chromebook market share is in danger because this criminal bug is taking too long to fix.

Google centrally manages Chrome OS, then why is this bug not fixed yet?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also have this problem! How do I report it so I am contacted for a fix??
Nancy
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Power washed my chromebook and now it stuck on the wifi.  What do I do i do now?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue logging in to my Chromebook with my owner account. Guest login works as it should. After trying different ideas such as trying a different keyboard type, attaching a USB PC keyboard, using the on-screen keyboard,  and changing my Google password on a PC, I began searching for ideas. I didn't try the Powerwash, since it seems too destructive and will cause files to be lost. However, once I found this forum, I see that I have company. Per Rebecca's (Google employee - Community Manager) information I used the "alt-shift-i" solution to get to the feedback form on the Chromebook showing the "Sorry your password couldn't be verified..." message on the login screen. I put the code #M84Login into the description and briefly described the issue. Hopefully, a resolution will be forthcoming soon.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just received Rebecca’s two options.  Does this mean there will be no other fix, Rebecca?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Michael,

Is the 2nd (48-hour) option not an acceptable fix for you?

- Mike
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have four Acer Chromebooks, the oldest is 3 years old and the newest is 1 year old, and I am having no problems, so what's so different about my machines, are Acer immune ?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi mike robinson 3585,

Your guess is as good as mine in that regard - although it does appear to not affect all models.

- Mike
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Acer is not immune. I am having this problem on my Acer Chromebook 15 CB5-571-CO9S. I bought it in early 2018.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Have Powerwashed and log in now works.. luckily all files backed up to cloud !!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So for option #2 Am I to leave this plugged in for 48 hour with the lid open?
I have files I need and I will lose my passwords that I saved anyway?
I am not happy and I don't know why "duplicate" problems are not allowed. It seems like Chromebook should be fixing their error which must have been caused by an update. 
I am afraid to turn off my other Chromebook. After 8 years of loving Chromebooks I no longer do.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
OK, if I follow the directions for Option #2, after the power wash is done and I recreate my account and get my files and docs from Drive, will I have to completely rebuild all of my apps? It has taken over 2 years to get my apps the way I wanted them and the prospect of having to recall and rebuild them is daunting at best. 

And if I decide to wait for a fix, anyone have an idea how long that may be? Obviously Google Chrome OS people are aware of the problem, but are they in any rush to fix it?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Judy - it appears you didn't read the whole solution. After 48 hours you will be able to log in and back up your files. Your passwords that are saved in your Google account will be restored as long as you are syncing them. You should double-check that you have sync enabled when you are able to log back in after the 48 hours pass.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
No ACER Chromebooks are NOT immune.  I have one Acer Chromebook 15 AND one Acer 
CB714-1WT-5427  manufactured 2019/09/23 and purchased in 2020.  Both had the problem, and an older Toshiba had the problem as well.  Powerwash on each one fixed the problem BUT apps and page layouts and app passwords had to be reentered on each and every machine.  I was on another thread of comments about this problem starting August 1, but now "they" have shut off comments on that thread.  Very sorry to learn this still has not been fixed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Snails it appears you did not read the entire solution. At the end it says to do a power wash. A powerwash resets everything.

I am concerned about leaving a computer plugged into an outlet for 48 hours. Since the battery is already completely charged the battery could overheat causing a fire. Not willing to risk burning down my house to save a $200 piece of junk.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Judy, it appears that you do not really understand what happens with a Powerwash. Snails is quite experienced. 

The only "passwords" that you will lose are wifi passwords.

What passwords are you concerned about?

Also, I leave my Chromebooks plugged in all the time, for weeks at a time. They do not overheat and catch on fire.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
As I read through this thread, it seems the ONLY option is the Powerwash - it's just that if you do it via #2, you have a chance to back up your files first.  Correct?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Does anyone know if the problem occurs on managed chromebooks?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
r ypma - that is correct. You will ultimately have to powerwash, but you do have an option to back up first.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just to add-

I tried signing in with a deliberately wrong rubbish password and the system recognised that it was the  wrong password and gave me that error message just as when signing in with my old password it recognised that and even said how long ago I'd changed the password.  So there is a connect between Chromebook and Google.  Yet I still cannot sign in to my side of the  Chromebook even though  as 'Guest' I can sign in to my google account.  I really need to be able to access my settings and files etc etc - I want my computer back not a powerwashed empty factory unit!  Is this going to get sorted???????????  When???????  PS I have  also tried the  EC resolve using the refresh and power buttons as described before
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Val Perry

Read the procedure in the Recommended answer above

See Option 2
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here for the last 2 weeks on 2 different chromebook. Please help.
Power wash works, but after a few days I have power wash again. That's really uncool
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I also cannot Sign In to my Chromebook & Do not want to use Powerwash option.  I was able to Log In using a secondary GMail Account, however once I Logged In a 2nd Time, All of my Previous Work was Lost.  Many Files & Much Work on the Line here, as with others; so hopefully this can be resolved.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
No need to restore files like in option 2. Power wash solves my problem for nearly 2 weeks. But if this is my perspective... this sucks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Man. G.

Have you filed a Feedback Report and explained that the problem keeps coming back?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Man.G.

you might also think about moving to  the beta channel

some of these issues happen because they dont have enough feedback from enough devices in the development stages
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Not yet reported. I will.
Using the beta is a good idea. I will try. Thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My wife had that problem this morning. I ended up resetting her password and it seems to have resolved it. A definite PITA, for sure. Fortunately, she doesn't have unsaved data that would have been affected. I haven't used mine today once I saw what happened to her. I went back to a Windows pc instead. Think I'll wait a couple of days before I try to login on mine.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I got my old 10" Asus Chromebook out of a box and tried loggin in. And I got in to my Chrome.Google account! Initially I used the original password for the small Chromebook, it was rejected and then I used the new password that I reset yesterday for my 15" Acer Chromebook and logged in immediately. So what is going on? A 5-year old Chromebook that hasn't been used in several years logs in but my much newer business Chromebook can't verify my password. This is just absurd and a company the size of Alphabet/Google/Chrome should have already fixed this "bug". Google support is always eager to "escalate" a support issue to the "next" level, but seems they are just sitting on their hands this time.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm locked out as well, using a Toshiba Chromebook 2 and Chrome OS  84.0.4147.127. For what it's worth, I discovered updates of Chrome OS can be done from Guest Mode and I can access Gmail OK. Also I submitted a feedback form to Google and I hope you did, too. 

I am currently trying Rebecca's "48 hour awake mode" technique to access my account. Anyone successful in doing that?

Thanks in advance...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is what I was told in an email:
"Our team has opened a bug to investigate and have assigned this bug our highest severity level. We are working to resolve it as soon as possible and will provide updates on this forum.:
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is what these Google idiots call a fix! Never buying another google piece of garbage product ever again. Incompetent arrogant evil google a-holes! Go back to manipulating search results for Democrats because that is the only thing you Google fools are capable of doing. Most evil despicable company on the planet. How much you want to bet this stupid 48 hours of powered on laptop does not even work? Unbelievable we have to do this just to login. So incompetent they can't even release a patch to fix the problem. Google is nothing but arrogant jerks. Go help the CCP because that is what you traitors are good at
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just been updated to Version 84.0.4147.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
To the comments above about changing to Beta channel - how can this be done if we can't sign into our machines?  For that matter, whenever the Google guys that bricked our machines have a fix ready, how will it get applied if we can't get into our machines?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I agree with H2 Guy! This is not a professional fix and Google is a disgusting company
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@ r ypma

Do the power wash and then use the link he gave me in his reply.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem. Althouh typing the correct password for 100% I am not able to login! Please update me....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
See the Recommended Answer at the tip of this thread!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
While we're waiting, trying to avoid logging out or restarting our computers (remember v81?): 
  1. Is there any information about which versions/platforms are affected? 
  2. Could we have a link to the issue on bugs.chromium.org?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I too have same issues. The only way I can access my account is to do account recovery . I can easily get back into my account. My downloaded files are missing. Some files remain. I can't back up remaing files. Chrome just won't do it. When I sign out and go back in again later it still will NOT let me in using my password. Tried resetting password but that does not work either. Have to do account recovery every time or go in as a guest. Btw when finally in my acct.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
P.s. I'm willing to risk the power wash. But I cannot find any answer as to whether I can just start over with a new account. I'm concerned my current account is now buggy. I have not been able to get any assistance from Google other than call the manufacturer. No one answers the customer service phone.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My Chromebook is not recognizing passwords as well.  Will try the power wash.  My chromebook just applied updates yesterday and then this problem happened today when I first tried to log on.

Please fix this bug asap.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
That is not a 'fix'.  It is a lame work-around with the potential for significant loss of data.  Can we get a real update from Google as to when a patch to the OS will be released that will truly fix the problem?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What you see, is all you are going to get.

If you follow the second option, there should not be data loss.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Isn't it possible to fix the problem by google instead of this options? I mean, the problem ocurred after an update as it seems- this is not user friendly!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi PAnn Oconnor , after a power wash you can indeed just start over with a new account, all you will require is a new gmail account to sign in with   https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183084?hl=en-GB
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So and I reading this correctly? If you do the powerwash you have to do it every time you log into the computer? If I try to change my email how would I get into my current email? This is the email I use for bills, bank, everything important in my life. And is on my phone. Seriously? I have 2 Chromebooks and I won't log off the second one for fear I won't be able to get back in. I tried the leaving it on but it didn't charge so it just died. It's old and I was going to get a new one but not with this BS. This is nuts.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Jim Dantin 
I did not see your reply to me. I'm sorry if I am not up to being on top of technical stuff. The reason I got a Chromebook to begin with was the ease of use. i am a senior and also have vision issues. The passwords I am concerned about are the ones I use to get into various websites like Slack, Spoke, Hussle, NYT, WP and all the other places that recognize me when I go to them. Aside from losing my files including pictures. Will these passwords be there?       The only time I did a Powerwash was when I had to return  a Chromebook. Thank you
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Appreciate the fix but this has happened to me twice within a week & I had to powerwash on each occasion to recover my account.
Can Google please acknowledge that there is a bug within Chrome that is causing this problem and that they are working on a permanent solution and when this may be released.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello

We have found an alternative solution other than POWERWASHING.

*Note ONLY FOR GOOGLE ADMIN CONSOLE*

• Get the device serial
  • Open Admin.Google.Com
  • Devices > Chrome Devices > Search by Serial
  • On the left hand window click the *CLEAR USER PROFILES*
  • Have the device restart and it will work.

One note, we have noticed that the devices all are older Chromebooks with version 84 and reporting no updates. However, Google Admin Console is reporting that the devices are "OS Version Non Compliant"
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The Chromebook is provided by my school. Would I have the permissions to Powerwash ?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
User 14788318135934502338

Doesn't that option do the same thing as a Powerwash? Most importantly, deleting all locally stored files?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What is the bug report number in  https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Jim Dantin 
User Jim Dantin

To clarify the *clear user profile* through the Google admin console is similar to a power wash. As it clears out the user profiles on the machine. This should be the preferred method for EDU/ Enterprise users as it gets their user back up and running in minutes. Rather then insisting the user bring the device somewhere to be power washed. 

So i should modify my previous work around and make more apparent that this is for EDU / Enterprise users who cannot have their 25k+ devices (like us) brought to a site to have a technician powerwash and re-enroll them.

Side note. *EPHEMERAL MODE* in the Admin Console does not resolve this problem. we tested enabling this instead of having to *clear user profiles* and still have the "Password not verified" issue with some users.

Hope this helps.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
First off a big thank you to all of you experts who help us. I have now completed  Option 2 of the  recovery from log-in problem except that I have NOT  done the factory reset (?'Powerwash'?) or updated the operating system.  This is because it looks as though everything is back to normal and I do not  want to break anything or lose anything by meddling further.  My question is - Is the  powerwash necessary?  ALso where can I find out if I am on the latest version Chromebook operating system?  Many thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ryan, thanks for sharing that info. It reinforces the policy that we don't support managed users or devices in this community.

It also reinforces that you have fantastic tools available to help manage those users.

I suspect that many of the user complaints about lost files, may be the result of cleanup actions like you describe. Many users will not need our advise to store important files in Drive, and not in Downloads or My Files.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Because the internet is such a great tool in finding information i figured i would share our experience here. 
In case someone, like myself, is out there looking for insight to a persistent problem.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
val perry

first you determine what the numerical version number is of the particular channel your device is currently operating on by looking in your device  os settings
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is ridiculous. Option 2 is basically a set up to back up files before wiping the Chromebook (option 1). We should not have had to research these issues when our password “was not recognized“, and “could not be verified .”  We thought we had been hacked ! 
An update from Rebecca as to WHEN we can expect a less invasive and potentially risky solution would be greatly appreciated. Many of us have a lot of invaluable info stored on our ChromeBooks. Please, no snarky tech replies, and more transparency from ChromeBook regarding this issue . TIA.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have my files and pics saved in drive.
 Just waiting to see if there is a solution other then factory reset or powerwash.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks to the support personnel who came through on this incident.

Like Val Perry, I have also done all of the Option 2 steps except the Factory Reset. I was able to back up my files to a thumb drive after the 48 hour stay-alive period as guest. My Downloads folder still has all of its files and I see all my other files are still available in my Google Drive. My Chromebook is back to where it was prior to the beginning of this incident. Interestingly enough, on my first login with my owner account, there was a notification of an upgrade needing a restart to apply. With nothing to lose, I've restarted and the notification went away. In fact, I've restarted several times and it's behaving as expected. Perhaps that was a patch to undo or fix the problem.

Like Val Perry, I'm wondering too if it's worth my time to Powerwash this device since it's behaving quite nicely.
marked this as an answer