/chromebook/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
how do i turn off read only mode on chromebook and move then to a usb drive to another computer
select all the files and try to copy then but i won't let me
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (13)
Relevant Answer
Howdy do

"Read only" is a setting for a given file; there is no global setting on the machine [never heard of any machine having that, and I go back to Windows 3.0].

Whomever owns the file makes the setting.  If that is not you, there are no work arounds.

best,
f
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also if it's a zip archive, you cant turn off read only mode.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
my computer runs on chrome os
marked this as an answer
Chrome OS enthusiast
Relevant Answer
imacat_187589,

You should be able to copy files or folders to external media as long as they are using a recognized filesystem. You can access files on external devices connected to your Chromebook if they use the following types of filesystems:
  • FAT (FAT16, FAT32, exFAT)
  • HFS+ (read-only on journaled HFS+)
  • ISO9660 (read-only)
  • MTP
  • NTFS
  • UDF (read-only)
When you plug in your USB stick or SD card it should have read-write permissions.
If you can't copy, move, change, or delete a file on external media it may be due to other reasons.
Please let us know what type & model of external media you are using and what you are trying to do with it.

Hope this helps, ~DennyL

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i mean on a library folder
marked this as an answer
Chrome OS enthusiast
Relevant Answer
imacat_187589,

i mean on a library folder

What 'library' folder are you referring to?
You mean what on a library folder, what are you trying to do with it?

Perhaps take a screenshot of the folders you're trying to work with so we can geta better idea of what's going on and why.

Thanx, ~DennyL
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
none of this is helpful. talk to a person who can relate to nontechnical information. DS card that I own and never put as read only now says read only and I cant remove pics. what?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, all advice I find is not addressing the particular problem. I have two folders for Recent. One says "read only" and there are files in there I want to open (not delete). Why did my recent video go to Read Only? This means I cannot attach it and it does not appear in the 2nd Recent folder without the "read only".
This is a new thing. All threads are not addressing removing the "read only" at the top left. I do have a screen shot.
Google has changed some things and of course, not for the better. How do I free these incarcerated files from "Read Only". I know how to do this on an individual files (which is what techs are answering) I never had this before. The only thing I've done lately is reactivate a 2nd email account, so I went to close that, and now Google does not offer closing out! I eliminated that email, thinking the terrible "Read Only" may have been opened via that. That did not work.
If I must power wash, I read that this still did not get rid of the problem from another user.
How do I eliminate this Read Only interference? This is as clear as I can make it. Please address.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Mar Val - "Recent" is not a folder. You have to modify those files in the actual folder(s) where they are stored.

And in the future, please don't hijack another thread - especially when your issue isn't the same. There are many other threads that are the same as this though, you should probably read the recommended answers there.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I literally just did it. I had the exact same problem. So what you do is, rename all of the tracks, with the track numbers at the beginning. (01,02,03,etc). Then, go up to the sort option and choose sort by name. Then they'll be in numerical order.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Snails..if the inquisitive knew they were 'hijacking' threads they probably wouldn't need any help with their computer!!  I'll be sure not to ask you anything. :/
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Kristy - I write that for the 1% who will learn. I know most will not, but maybe some will, and will help make the community better.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i record a video. video only in recent. nothing under videos. can not rename. read only in top left. help
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/chromebook/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic