/chromebook/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Is update 92.0.4515.130 safe? Last time I got locked out so I just want to make sure
Last time I did an update I was locked out and had to access it as a guest. I want to confirm that update 92.0.4515.130 is safe to install please advise thanks.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (207)
Relevant Answer
I am having the same problem.  I just did the latest update and can not sign back in to my account.  It says password can not be verified.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here, and followed all the instructions given with no luck
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Me too....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I don't want to lose my files, either.  This is not cool.  I have to run out and buy a laptop at pandemic price, now (in addition to losing my files).  :(
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
after excepting google updat i can't log back in
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,

I'm sorry to report that a Powerwash seems to be the only way to resolve the issue. My husband just experienced this on his Chromebook and that was the only way to get it working. Please see this article from Chrome Unboxed: Don't Take That Update!

~Jo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello Chromebook Community, 

Thank you for taking time to bring up this issue of not being unable to login to your device, even though you've entered the correct password. Our team has opened a bug to investigate this, and we've assigned this bug our highest severity level. 

At this time we have paused the roll out of version 91.9.4472.165, and we're working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. We'll provide updates on this forum thread. 

Please continue to share feedback with our team by sending us a feedback report with #91password within the description, and we will keep you updated on this thread.  

Best, 
Rebecca - on behalf of Chrome OS
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you for trying to resolve this. As of now, I still cannot login #91password
Hopefully it can be fixed soon. I’ll be watching this thread carefully.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issues- When I open my chromebook I try to log in but it tells me the password is invalid or unrecognized. When it is in fact not incorrect 🙄
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is complete bullshit. I need this to work and can't get on it. I can not access any of my work info under guest. I can guarantee if this is the norm, I will never buy a google product again.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I’m having the same issue. Why can’t Google send out another update that will undo the damage that it has done without having to reset the Chromebook?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Carolyn

Beta Channel no bullshit  no access problems like stable

Something to consider  ?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If Google paused the update does that mean it's safe to shut down the chromebook or should it be left on to prevent installation of the update that might have been downloaded before you paused it?

If the Chromebook is off should we not turn it on?

Please provide concrete advice to end-users.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
#91password I am having the same problem all of you are having. The only answer I got from Google was to powerwash the Chromebook. It's absurd! Why do I have to lose all my personal and professional data just because the messed up?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have not tried this from personal experience (because the fix is not yet available) but 9TO5GOOGLE suggests this approach, which would avoid the disruption of a Powerwash:

Alternatively, once a formal rollback process has begun, you should be able to update your Chromebook to fix the problem, but not in the way you normally would. At the login screen, instead of trying to log into your account, click the “Browse as guest” button in the bottom-left corner. Next, open the Settings app, then click About Chrome OS. You should be able to check for an update here and install it without issue.

Fingers crossed!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same advice  as directly above  by libssd but you could update to beta channel also thus avoiding stable completely using your guest user if you do have access

have not did this myself because i am already beta channel
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Don, I am pretty sure that only the Chromebook owner can change channels. However, it should be possible for Guest to trigger an update — when a version of Chrome OS greater than 91.0.4472.165 is available.

I'm in no hurry to experiment. I can wait until a new version is released. I'll do almost anything to avoid a Poweerwash.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
#91password   Same, can log into my google accounts on other devices, but my chrome book which just received an update will not let me log in
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
libssd

one thing that should be worked on is changing passwords to correct the problem

that just digs a deeper hole and does nothing to help
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same problem 
Trying to login and get "Sorry, your password could not be verified. Please try again. Click your keyboard layout and try again."
On my second chromebook I have open "security" and see 2 signed-in devices . But the first chromebook is still has only "Sorry.." message and "Please wait" in the middle of the screen
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue, it is not recognizing my password
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
the exact same problem for me as well...i cannot afford to lose files or to be locked out. please help ASAP
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The login screen just flashed and then went black.  there was nothing I could do.
I had to do a recovery from a flash drive.  The procedure is described by Google on its support ... System Restore.  you will need a second pc that has a Chrome browser and recovery extensions. Unfortunately you will lose files that were not in backup or on Google Drive.
After restoring, I recommend powerwash.  The chromebook will also be updated and will be fine.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue, it is not recognizing my password..very bad
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
my chromebook wont even reboot!1 shows google screen then goes black,,shows my login page for a quick second and returns to black nothing is working to reboot on..
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The above solution (powerwash) is a very bad solution. The person should provide more warning. Powerwash will erase your personal data and linux apps data.

The real solution is to wait until Google provides a hot fix (hopefully in a few days). Meanwhile, you can do one of the below temporarily solutions:
- you can log in as guest and work
- you can add a new person (Account) and log in to it and work. If you do not have any other google account, you can create one.
When the hot-fix is ready, you can update ChromeOS (from guest or new account) and log in to your old account.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i have the same problem please help me fiX!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same problem. I just done the update and now my chromebook wont let me sign in.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It looks like there are a few people having the same problem as me on here about passwords not being verified
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 I agree this is a very bad solution to erase all data and apps because of that 🤬Google update !!!!
They have  to FIX it ASAP !!!
Is it possible technically ??!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If I have to powerwash or whatever it is and lose files to fix this joke of a latest update. I am going back to Windows

This is beyond ridiculous... An update patch should've been sorted out by now for such a massive issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I had updated, but saw the warning on Reddit before I restarted, so I'm a bit stuck in the middle. 

Do I wait for another update? How would I download that update with a pending update waiting on a restart?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
#91password - If anybody wants a temporary fix, try selecting browse as guest, then sign into your google account. It seems to be working for me. Does anybody know how long it will take for the issue to be resolved, as I have exams and assignments due next week?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What is up with google?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What is up with google?

I was one of the ones that had the tab reloading bug from update 83 I think it was. Still doesn't work and has never been fixed and we're on 91.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Any idea how long? And will the fix be at login page or in guest mode...as they are the only 2 screens we can see now we cannot access our accounts
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem as everybody else, it seems that Chromebook has had the same problem before. I have spent the whole morning reading threads from 2020 and no solution, if this is not fixed in hours I will get rid of my Chromebook  and any other Google devices for good.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Don, I said nothing about changing the password. This is a lousy situation, but changing password or Powerwashing will only make it worse by ensuring that anything stored on the Chromebook will be lost.

I know this is a frustrating (I have been in a similar place before) but the two non-destructive options at this time are:
  1. Don't use the Chromebook until a fix has been released. This is the safest, but may not be possible for many people.
  2. If you must use the Chromebook, login as Guest, then open a window for something that requires your Google password, such as Gmail, Calender, Google Docs/Sheets, etc. 
All work will be saved online, not on the Chromebook. Files that are already stored on the Chormebook will be inaccessible. Your bookmarks will not be available, and even if you have previously exported them to external storage, they cannot be imported during a Guest session.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
PLEASE PLEASE make a fix that can be applied via guest log-in so we don't lose everything! If that won't be possible, tell us now so we don't wait for your fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
why is this happening?? i never did anything to you people, just handed over my hard earned money and than being told to just "factory reset" that's how my grandmother knows how to solve the problem, such a crack team of professionals you have on this!  #91password
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Hal 7001 : The worst thing that Google can do is rush out a fix that has not been adequately tested. A "fix" that makes things worse is worse than no fix at all. 

Last week a Chrome Zero-day exploit was reported.
Google has rolled out a new security update to its Chrome browser, introducing fixes for as many as eight security flaws. One of them is a zero-day vulnerability, meaning it is already being exploited in the wild.

The “high-risk” issue, tracked as CVE-2021-30563, was reported anonymously last Monday.... 

The popularity of Google Chrome also means it’s the most attractive browser for zero-day exploits. There have been several attacks on the browser recently. According to a Bleeping Computer report, this is the eighth zero-day exploit Google Chrome has patched this year. Before this, the company had released similar urgent fixes in June (two zero-day exploits patches), April (two), March (two), and February (one).
Hang tight.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem!! And I can’t even browse as guest it only gives me option to set up acct for child not even a guest option!! RIDICULOUS!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I already changed the password and it won't let me change back because a) it's a password I've used recently and b) it's not secure enough.
I also logged in with a different account! I hope "the fix" takes these situations into account.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi All,

I am having the same issue with my Dell Inspiron Chromebook. I look forward to the fix.

Sincerely,
Tom Mullaney
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
its the guest password.put a new password
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem. Do not want to powerwash.  ACER Chromebook 15.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here. Absurd!
I'm not even considering the reset condition... If this is the only way of restore the service, I can send the equipment back to you and get my money back to buy a proper computer with which I won't have this type of odd issue.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here. Waiting (impatiently) for a fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Me too.  I've too much downloaded to powerwash (not that I know how) and don't want to lose it.  Never mind using a damned phone instead.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also I can't lig in as a guest it won't let me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm having the same issue...I don't want to have to resort to power washing since I'm unable to back up any of my files...downloads.. including apps streaming apps like Hulu or Disney+ some photos and that I can't access in my google account...I don't understand how I can log in with the same password and email on google account but want let me into my own Google Chromebook...this is ridiculous....can some one please explain why this is to me...please
 I can't upload any photos videos or anything else from my Chromebook files to Facebook or any other social media platforms. Some files and photos I'm unable to restore with out being able to access my Chromebook in order to back them up...so Powerwashing is really not the best option...how long will it take to resolve this problem which seems to be with Google...because it seems to have happened in the last 24 hrs. If many other here posting are having the same problems...so it has to be on Googles end.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
24 hours and still not working
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This. Is. The. Worst. 

And I literally just said before this update, my Chromebook is the best.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Question: I was sent an email earlier which I accessed on this phone and it suggested I register as a new user on the chromebook.  If I do this will I lose anything?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just had a thought: Does the same issue with users being locked out also apply when Smart Lock is used? If not, that maybe an acceptable workaround for now to some people.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
good job Google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My second chromebook still has my files intact - which I don't want to lose -  How do I stop the update downloading? Or has it been already stopped by Google. This has made me rethink my attachment to Chromebooks :-(
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you stopped that roll out 16 hours ago, why was I affected with this problem 7 hours ago? Never had such a problem with a normal laptop -a nightmare!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you need someone to test a fix for this I have a spare chromebook I can afford to loose access to for the cause.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I shouldn't have to loose all of my locally stored data because of Google's BAD update!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Freaking ridiculous
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i did update and i can't get into my account - obviously can sign in as a guest but not ideal - can you let us know when problem is going to be resolved
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having the same issue after uploading the latest update??? I had to upload a new log in thinking its my computer?? This sucks so what are suppose to do NOW........
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
In response to the latest update, I am unable to “remove account” as suggested. On the down arrow beside the profile that is not working, there are no menu options that allow for deleting the profile. 
Thank you for that suggestion. Please let me know when there is another solution other than powerwashing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
#91password Updated last night. Same problem as others. Before I found this thread, I changed my password via my android phone!! Ugh. I hope that doesn't mess things up more.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I dont want to power wash my chromebook.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
User

powerwashing will occur whenever the system decides to do so

the system can wipe your account anytime

it can happen  anytime with no input from you
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am currently using my chromebook by using Google Workspace. I added another user to it, my 2nd gmail account. Now that account is on my main login screen along with my administrator login which no longer works since the OS update last night. Once I logged into Google Workspace using the secondary google email I logged into my main account. I currently have access to all of my Chromebook files, I just don't have acess to my administrative account...It is a hassle, and I don't like it, but it beats powerwashing just because Google blew it with the OS update.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
#91 password: Same issue.. but here's some more detail. It accepts my password, does the 2 factor auth to my phone, which I get and okay. Then it takes me to a white screen that says "Sorry, your password could not be verified. Please try again. Check your keyboard layout and try again." 

Not sure how keyboard layout would affect my password, but clearly my password worked, to get to the 2 factor auth. 

And why on earth can't the change that broke it be reverted? Forced updates feels like a bad thing at this point.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
i am having the same problem after update     i can access through guess facebook and gmail  but not anything stored on chromebook  will not let me powerwash   so wait   that is what i do
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
That really isn't good enough.  I won't powerwash as I have years worth of downloads including things relating to my now deceased husband.  And I can't log in as a guest.  Some things I have saved elsewhere but a lot not.  It didn't occur to me nit to trust Googe/Chrome.  This is appalling.  If I lose all that I'll be furious.  I'm pretty angry now.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Damn! Sam issue in my chromebook
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue can't login on my account & I don't want to erase my data. Surely there must be a solution
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here.  RED triangle asking for login.  Will not accept my new password.  Hmm?  Thanks for your help.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Here is the latest from the Google Customer Care Portal:

July 19, 2021 at 5:06:11 PM GMT-4:

Fix has been deployed to a new build of M91, current eta is by EOD Wednesday, July 21st. 

Current remediation steps for affected devices to resolve the issue: 
  1. Powerwash the device (Local data will be cleared) 
  2. Rollback the Chrome OS device to a previous version via USB (Local data will be cleared)
  3. Wait for the fix to be deployed and leave the Chromebook device on the login screen to pick up the update via auto-update. 
  4. Wait for the fix to be deployed, and update the device by logging into Guest Mode
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

As of July 21 @ 0832 EDT, the fix has not yet been released. Note that options 1 and 2 will result in loss of all local data (everything stored in Downloads). The best thing you can to is WAIT.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
That's no fix.  (1) Loss of photos of my late husband unacceptable.  (2) I can't log in as guest. Never mind not being sure if how to do powerwash even if I could log on as guest.   (3) I seem to have list my cloud files.  This is appalling.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Em 147 : Could you please elaborate on why you can't login as Guest? 

Guest requires no password. The only way that I can imagine Guest not working is if the "Enable Guest browsing" setting has been disabled. Guest browsing is enabled by default.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I press the "v" next to my username and the guest option isn't there.  It just says my user name followed by "(owner)" and underneath that my gmail address.  I see no other access.  And I didn't deny guest user access - I woukdn't know how. I also got an email saying welcone to my new chromebook.  And on my clunky pc (which I hardly ever use) it said I have no files on the cloud.

All in all a bloody disaster.

I also tried clickibg on "add person" on bottom left but no response.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you. If Guest logins are permitted, in the bottom left corner of the login screen you should see three choices : Shut down     Browse as Guest    Add Person. 

If Browse as Guest is not displayed, then this option has been disabled in Settings.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Well it's not there (or I wouldn't say I can't do it).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same issue, and on the last week of the summer semester. finals, essays, etc. not impressed ):
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I don’t think there was an update done, but I can’t log in at all. I can log in to my google account on other devices but can’t sign in to my chrome book. 
I get an error that says sorry, your password could not be verified, check your keyboard layout and try again. Then it goes to a loading screen forever. The only way to get off the loading screen is to shut down, and then try to log in again with the same error message.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Em 147 : Then Guest logins must be disabled on your Chromebook. The screen shot I included was taken from my Chromebook, which is currently unusable because of the update bug. 

It is best to do nothing until the fix is released, then we see what (if anything) happens.

The medical dictum "First do no harm" applies. Another way to state it is that, "given an existing problem, it may be better not to do something, or even to do nothing, than to risk causing more harm than good."
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Guest login works but you won't have access to your files. Use Google Workplace to add a user to your Chromebook. This should be a secondary gmail account. That account will be added to your Chromebook home screen for login. Once logged in you can open uo a browser and log into your main gmail account associated with your Chromebook, your administartor email account. This will allow you to access your files and photos. It looks like an old version in format and there is no access to password keeper, but at least you can access your files. Hope that helps!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is horrible. Same issues as the others. Google has to be better than this. I have a brand new CB, weeks old. Spent all day on this nonsense, ok until the update. No support. Google does not care one bit about users. This is really amazingly irresponsible. The service is atrocious. I have never seen anything like it in my life frankly. Google might be the worst IT support operation in existence. There is nothing. But keep buying our unsupported 100% garbage Chromebooks. To people in Google and on Chromebook, do something now. Or I have to go buy a Mac and avoid Google and CB completely. Just be done. This is ridiculous, poorly managed, and NO ONE CARES and Google should be ashamed of themselves.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My issue on my Lenovo C330 is the sign in screen just flashes on for a second and doesn't even give me a chance to sign in as guest or powerwash it.  How will I be able to take the update fix? #91password
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Looks like the update to fix this has been released. Just went into guest mode and my device is updating.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/chromebook/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic