Parents can approve their child’s Chrome Web Store extensions and Chrome apps on a personal Chromebook for a child’s personal Google account managed with Family Link.
What you need
To approve your child’s Chrome Web Store extensions and apps, your child will need a Chromebook with Chrome OS versions 83 or higher. Learn more about how to update your Chromebook’s operating system.
How a child can add a Chrome app or extension
- On a personal Chromebook, open the Chrome Web Store.
- On the left, select Apps or Extensions.
- Browse or search for what you’d like to add.
- When you find a Chrome app or extension you’d like, select Add to Chrome.
- If you're adding an extension:
- Review the types of data that the extension will be able to access.
- Select Ask a parent.
- Choose your parent’s account.
- Your parent will need to enter their password and select Approve.
- You'll see your Chrome apps in your launcher, and your extensions in Chrome as buttons on the toolbar.
Remove a Chrome app or extension
To remove a Chrome app or extension on a Chromebook, a parent won’t need to give permission. If a Chrome app or extension is re-added, a parent will need to approve it again.
- Open Chrome.
- Select More More tools Extensions.
- Next to the Chrome extension or app you want to remove, select Remove.
- To confirm, select Remove.