Parents can approve their child’s Google Play Store or Chrome Web Store apps or extensions on a personal Chromebook for a child’s personal Google Account managed with Family Link.
What you need
To approve your child’s apps and extensions:
- Your child needs a Chromebook with ChromeOS version 83 or up. Learn more about how to update your Chromebook’s operating system.
- The parent will need to log in to their Family Manager account and turn on "Permissions for sites, apps and extensions" for their child's account.
Turn on permissions for sites, apps & extensions
- On the parent manager's Family Link account, go to families.google.com.
- Select the “Supervised member” or child account.
- Under “Parent settings,” select Websites on Chrome.
- Under "Try to block mature sites" or "Only allow certain sites," select Manage sites.
- Turn on Permissions for sites, apps and extensions.
How a child can add an Android app
- Open the Play Store app .
- On the left, select Apps.
- Browse or search for the app you want to add.
- When you find an Android app to add, select Install.
- Choose how to get your parent’s approval:
- To send your parent an approval request, select Ask in a message. Your parent must approve the request in their Family Link app .
- To have your parent approve the app in person, select Ask in person. Your parent must enter their password on your device.
Remove an Android app
To remove an Android app on a Chromebook, a parent doesn’t need to give permission. To readd an Android app, a parent doesn't need to approve the app again.
- In the corner of your screen, select the Launcher Up arrow .
- Right-click the app you want to remove.
- Select Uninstall or Remove from Chrome.
- Select Uninstall.
How a child can add a Chrome app or extension
- On a personal Chromebook, open the Chrome Web Store.
- On the left, select Apps or Extensions.
- Browse or search for what you want to add.
- When you find a Chrome app or extension to add, select Add to Chrome.
- If you're adding an app or extension:
- Review the types of data that the extension can access.
- Select Ask a parent.
- Choose your parent’s account.
- Your parent must enter their password and select Approve.
- You'll find your Chrome apps in your launcher and your extensions in Chrome as buttons on the toolbar.
Remove a Chrome app or extension
To remove a Chrome app or extension on a Chromebook, a parent doesn't need to give permission. To readd a Chrome app or extension, a parent needs to approve it again.
- Open Chrome.
- Select More More tools Extensions.
- Next to the Chrome extension or app you want to remove, select Remove.
- To confirm, select Remove.