You can chat with your friends on your Chromebook through Messages, which shows what's on your Messages mobile app. Messages sends SMS messages on a connection from your Chromebook to your phone, so carrier fees will apply, just like on the mobile app.
Important: If you use your Chromebook at work or school, you may not be able to send and receive SMS Messages. For more help, contact your administrator.
What you need
On your Chromebook, you'll need:
- Chrome OS version 71 and up. Learn how to update your Chromebook’s operating system.
- A connected Android phone.
- An internet connection.
On your phone, you’ll need:
Tip: You might get charged for data if you use your phone. To avoid extra charges, connect your phone to Wi-Fi.
Set up Messages
- If you haven’t already, connect your phone to your Chromebook.
- On your phone, open Messages .
- On your phone, tap More Messages for web.
- On your Chromebook, in the corner of your screen, select the Launcher Up arrow .
- On your Chromebook, open Messages .
- If you want to sign in to Messages automatically next time, check the box "Remember this computer."
- On your phone, tap QR code scanner and hold your phone up to the QR code on the Chromebook.
- The QR code for Messages is unique to your Chromebook and pairs the mobile app to that computer. You can pair your Messages account on multiple devices, but only one will be active at a time. When you open Messages on a Chromebook, your conversations on any other computers or browser tabs will become inactive.
Important: Your latest conversation threads, contacts, and other settings will be encrypted and cached on your browser. If you don't use your Messages account for 14 days, you’ll automatically be signed out for security reasons.
Sign out of Messages on your Chromebook
Signing out helps keep other people from finding your messages and sensitive info, like two factor verification codes or personal details.
- In the corner of your screen, select the Launcher Up arrow .
- Open Messages .
- At the top left, select More Sign out.
- Select Sign out.
Tip: You won't sign out of other connected phone features when you sign out of Messages.